Back to School
10 Tips for Decorating & Organizing Your Dorm Room
Written by Christi Given | July 6, 2014
For many of you prepping for college in the fall, it might be fun to get some ideas and prepare your shopping list with your parents for your dorm room bedding and décor. This week I wanted to inspire you not only with ideas for decorations and style, but also organizational tips!
1. Find a fun, bright pattern for your bedding and your headboard.
Via the ever adorable: Decor 2 Ur Door!
2. Create your own style with special pillows or hang twinkle lights and pictures.
3. DIY: If you have a small amount of space, use shower curtain rings on a hanger to consolidate space for your tanks and T-shirts.
4. Create a well-organized study space where you can focus while doing your work. Add an inspirational board or pics of family and friends on a cork board. (Just FYI, IKEA has some great desks and chairs, and they have great prices!)
5. Get some fun containers to store products, clothing, makeup, school supplies and more! (Target, IKEA and The Container Store are great places to purchase these cute little boxes.)
6. Here are some tips on how to fold your T-shirts in a way that you can save space. Dorm rooms are typically small, so every inch of space will be needed!
7. Brighten up your room with colors and patterns! Ask your future roommate what colors she likes and maybe see if you can do some matching or even have the same color scheme! (You don’t want it to clash.)
8. If you have space for a mini couch, add a footstool or a place where you can study and relax!
9. Add bright, inspirational artwork to your wall or desk area. Sticker decals are neat, too! Target sells them, and you may find them at arts and craft stores like Michaels as well. They will cheer you up and liven up your dorm room!
10. DIY: Make a do-it-yourself wallpaper-roll pencil holder. Take wallpaper rolls, glue them with a hot glue gun into a pyramid and voilà!—you have a pen/pencil holder!
[Sources: HGTV.com, http://collegelifestyles.org, pinterest.com]
PI Girls, do you have any decorating tips or secrets for saving space in a dorm room? Comment below!