posted on October 25, 2011 at 2:11 pm
It’s that time of year again. The school dances are scheduled and most of your peers are reeling with excitement. However, you’re not dating anyone right now. Whether you’re in between relationships or you’ve simply decided to wait to date, here are some ideas to help you get through dance night:
- Go to the dance with a buddy! My best friend in high school did this and had a fabulous time on prom night. I didn’t date in high school and chose to sit at home on prom night doing nothing. But not my best friend! She wanted to go to the prom even though she didn’t have a date, so she and another friend decided to go together. Not only did they have a BLAST, but they were also able to split the cost of the ticket. If you want to go to your prom or any school dance but you don’t want to go alone, grab a buddy who’s also solo right now and go together! Think about all the great memories you’ll be able to share later!
- Do something that you’ve always wanted to do. Ok, so you’ve decided that you’d rather not go to the dance at all. Everyone has that laundry list of things that they’ve always wanted to do but haven’t yet gotten around to–well, this would be a great time to get started! Have you always wanted to try a dance class? Want to try that rock climbing seminar? Have you thought about volunteering for that great cause? Great! This is the perfect time to do it!
- Host a ‘Girls Night In’ gathering at your house. I bet there are other girls who are in the same predicament that you’re currently experiencing. Gather a group of girls who have also decided to sit this dance out and make a night of it. Get a few movies and some popcorn and call it movie night. Or better yet, gather some grooming products and have a spa party. Have a blast doing facials, manicures, and pedicures for each other!
- Treat yourself. If you’d rather spend the evening by yourself or with one or two other friends, make sure it doesn’t turn into a pity party. Decide to treat yourselves! Grab your allowance or ask your parents (in advance) for some cash and head out to see that new movie that’s playing at the local cinema. If you’re not interested in a movie, maybe you could get your nails or hair done. Take this opportunity to pamper yourself. Remind yourself that you’re special whether you’ve decided to date or wait.
- Take this opportunity to do something special for God. This would be a great opportunity to put the focus on God. Check out local activities that you could participate in that glorify God. Maybe a church is hosting a play or concert that you could check out. Better yet, maybe you could volunteer for a local mission to help out your community. There are tons of opportunities to help further God’s Kingdom and this would be a great time to jump on in.
Remember, when you’re not dating, you have the opportunity to focus on making yourself a better you! Don’t allow yourself to feel lonely–get active instead!
Girls, what are some other ideas?
Image: Hemera | Thinkstock