5 Ways to Memorize Scripture That Actually Work
Written by Brittney Moses | February 19, 2016
Have you ever faced at least one of these three problems?
- You read a verse and then forgot it within 10 minutes.
- You’re trying to reference a scripture to someone, but you just can’t remember what it is.
- You have the hardest time finding the verse you’re looking for or even remembering which book of the Bible it’s in.
Memorizing scripture has so many benefits when it comes to applying God’s Word to our everyday lives and to those around us. How can we be encouraged to hold onto His promises when things are looking down or fully live the life He’s called us to live if His words are not stored within us? Well, here are some ways you can be intentional about memorizing scripture!
1. Make a scripture memory box. Only three items are needed: flashcards, dividers and a flashcard box. Label them by the days, the weeks or however you’d like and pull a verse each day to focus on making your memory verse for the day. In a year, that’s 365 verses memorized!
Find this tutorial here.
2. Print some verse cards (or write verses on sticky notes) and plaster them around the house or at your work desk. This has been a fantastic method in my experience. Seeing specific verses on my bathroom mirror, the cabinet or bedroom door and then saying them out loud to myself every time in passing really helped make them stick!
[Source: A Proverbs 31 Wife]
3. Read, speak, write. This is just a rule of thumb. Repetition helps us retain information longer!
4. Download scripture onto your smartphone or iPad. Yep, there’s an app for that (thank us later).
5. Make it applicable. This is probably my biggest tip. It’s been scientifically proven that when we can tie personal meaning into present information, it’s more likely to stick in our long-term memory. So if you’re dedicated to memorizing a verse, think about how it relates to your life, a person you know or an event. Literally explain to yourself out loud, or even to someone else, how that verse applies to a specific situation you’ve experienced and I guarantee you it’s most likely to never slip your mind again.
What tips and tricks do you use to help yourself memorize scripture? Sharing is caring! Comment below!