7 Truths About Pornography
Written by T.M. Gaouette
Posted on September 30, 2014 at 3:00 pm
Ladies, pornography is a subject often kept secret. In the old days, it was a hard thing to find, and probably considered more of a guy’s issue. But because of the Internet, it’s become way more accessible, and to both guys and girls. And since larger numbers of people are accessing it, more of it is being produced and its contents are getting more and more damaging.
Pornography is not just a guy’s sin. Girls struggle with it also. Yet some people don’t think pornography is destructive. They think it’s just fun. But really? Think about these truths when it comes to pornography.
- It turns people into things. Pornography dehumanizes people. It’s not about the person, but rather body parts, and so the value of a human body is completely damaged.
- It makes abhorrent what God made beautiful. God created a way for a husband and wife to come together in an act of love and giving. And out of that act comes life. It’s a strategically designed act, created to be beautiful. But pornography takes it and distorts it, making it obscene, selfish and abominable.
- It negatively affects your future marriage. You may not think this is true, but pornography introduces you to a false view of how a man and woman should interact sexually. So much so that when couples enter a marriage, they believe that what they learned through pornography is how a husband and wife should treat each other. Pornography is so disrespectful that couples often lose respect for each other in other areas of their marriage. If you’re dehumanizing your husband during the times that you’re supposed to be cherishing each other, what stops you from dehumanizing him at other times, and vice versa? Pornography also introduces you to images that will stay in your mind for a very long time, if not forever.
- It’s addictive and it never satisfies the appetite. Usually, pornography is introduced to someone by a friend or family member. That’s when the curiosity kicks in. From curiosity comes further interest in what else could be out there. Then the appetite calls for more and then more, and each time the images get increasingly graphic and destructive. It’s the same as a drug. Soon, smoking marijuana doesn’t feed the appetite and so people move onto something stronger, and then even that doesn’t satisfy, so something stronger is abused, until eventually a drug addict is using the hardest of drugs many times a day in order to feed the addiction.
- It destroys so many lives. Pornography doesn’t just destroy in the ways already mentioned; it also destroys the people producing it. And most of the time, innocent people are being abused in the process.
- It separates you from Christ. Pornography is sinful, no question. So, if you’re choosing sin, then you’re not choosing Christ. Romans 8:2-13 reads, “Consequently, brothers, we are not debtors to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die, but if by the spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.”
- It’s clearly the work of Satan. I mean, think about it. Pornography instills within a person all the sentiments that go against God, such as lust and self-gratification. Satan is constantly looking to take what God made beautiful and destroy it. What a way to hurt God, right? Everything that God made beautiful, Satan is trying to destroy. And pornography plays a huge part in destroying God’s plan.
Avoid immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the immoral person sins against his own body. Do you not know that your body is a temple of the holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been purchased at a price. Therefore glorify God in your body. (1 Corinthians 6:18-20)
Ladies, pornography is destructive. There’s no doubt about it. It destroys your mind and your soul, and it stands in your way of accepting Jesus fully into your life. You can’t follow Christ when you’re not fully invested in Him and His Word. It is truly the devil’s work.
Ladies, did you know that pornography was so destructive?