posted on May 11, 2012 at 3:22 pm
The Bible says this about honoring your parents:
Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you (Exodus 20:12).
It’s so important to God that you respect and love your father and mother that He promises a long life to those who honor their parents. With Mother’s Day quickly approaching, here are a few ways you can honor your mother on this special day:
- Make time for her. I know this goes without saying for some, but others may need a little reminder. Remember, this is an important day for your mom, so be sure to include time with her in your plans. Even if you’re upset with your mother, put aside your difficulties to celebrate her on her special day.
- Remind your mother how much you love her. Of course, she probably already knows this, but don’t underestimate how much your mother appreciates it when you TELL her how much she means to you. Moms sacrifice A LOT and secretly melt when their families praise them for their hard work.
- Try making it a Mother’s Day WEEKEND! What better way to honor your mother than to celebrate her for the entire weekend? You and your siblings can divide your mother’s responsibilities throughout the weekend to give her more time to relax and enjoy herself. You can even draft your dad to help you with larger responsibilities that are best handled by an adult.
- Give her gifts that she will cherish and appreciate. Take time to pick out a gift your mom will appreciate! Don’t wait until the last minute to go shopping because then the pressure is on. You’ll be more likely to choose anything so long as you get a present–and it may not be something that your mother will truly enjoy. You know your mother, so you know what she’ll like. Although your mother will likely appreciate anything you give her, consider how excited she’d be to receive something she really, REALLY likes. Now, this doesn’t mean that you have to spend a fortune for Mother’s Day. The gift can be something inexpensive or even free. If you’re on a budget, create something for her. Write her a poem, fix her breakfast, draw a beautiful picture, or use any other gift or talent you may have to make something. Your gift doesn’t have to be expensive, it just has to be meaningful!
- Pray for your mother on Mother’s Day and EVERY day. Take some time to pray with your mom! There’s nothing more important or more honoring to your mother than to go to God on her behalf. Pray for her safety, happiness and prosperity. If your mother isn’t a Christian, pray for her salvation, as there is no better gift than the gift of salvation.
Although you should honor your mother every day, Mother’s Day is a great time to celebrate your mom for all that she does. What are you going to do for your mother this Mother’s Day?
Image: Image by: Keith Levit Photography