A Message From PI Founder, Nicole:

I want to remind you that God created you for a huge purpose, and He WILL use you to build His kingdom! You are meant to shine!

How to know God.

1 Corinthians 11

Home Forums Christian Life Christian Life 1 Corinthians 11

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Schwibz 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Author Posts
princesshunter

princesshunter

Does anyone else still practice headcovering?

March 7, 2016 at 12:16
DiverseCity2018

DiverseCity2018

Awesome question! Actually, the church I grew up in practiced head covering. It was a storefront Pentecostal/evangelical type church. They had a pretty literal interpretation of the Bible and were pretty strict. Growing up, I never wore pants, never wore jewelry or makeup, didn’t go to the movies, and rarely cut my hair. It sounds crazy to most modern Christians but actually, this is very very common among a lot (but not all) Pentecostal churches. I don’t know too many that still use the head covering in the United States. But I do know that in Puerto Rico (where my parents are from) there are still churches that practice this. Generally, these churches use “velos” or veils in English. They are usually made up of a lace fabric and sometimes have a hair clip thing for easy wear. Although I do not subscribe to that anymore, I understand why they do it and in a way it’s kind of a beautiful lesser known tradition. The problem is when people in churches tell you that this is the ONLY way to go and that not taking this scripture literally is WRONG and sinful or something like that. I had that problem in the church that I grew up in. I don’t think they meant it that way, but as a kid that is how I grew to interpret it all.

They looked like this: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=christian+head+coverings&view=detailv2&&id=56CCB8AD86ABB452942F05BD5C13B6EC35C2EE04&selectedIndex=161&ccid=pciJT9M1&simid=608015091962613474&thid=OIP.Ma5c8894fd33583d8ace08569196b06d7o0&ajaxhist=0

I hope this was informative some. (:

March 9, 2016 at 19:19
Schwibz

Schwibz

When I was a kid my family went to the Russian Orthodox church. They are not at all that strict but they are definitely strict on the head covering thing. If you don’t do it someone will definitely walk up to you and tell you it’s wrong not to cover your head in church. It is actually a pretty beautiful tradition as I heard some priests say that women should cover their head (and therefore their hair) so that men won’t be tempted to look and be distracted from prayer. 🙂 You can look the Russian Orthodox church on google and see the pictures. The church we go to now is not at all like it, but sometimes I still miss those coverings haha (:

March 26, 2016 at 00:06
Marcy

Marcy

In my church, some women wear head coverings. While I searched the scriptures and came to the conclusion it was not necessary, I did wear one for a couple years and I definitely understand the reasoning behind it, and there is certainly nothing unbiblical about wearing a head covering.

March 26, 2016 at 22:41
Petunia

Petunia

Yes! All of the women in my church do. Most of them do it out of a conviction that the Bible commands it. I do it out of respect for the tradition.

In general, I think it’s better to be on the safe side of the cultural/non-cultural debate.

April 29, 2016 at 21:19
Schwibz

Schwibz

I know this is probably not very relevant to the topic, BUT I am feeling called to attend an all night Easter service at the Orthodox church today, and I am going to wear my turquoise headcovering 🙂

April 30, 2016 at 00:19
verymuchagirl

verymuchagirl

The Horning Mennonites, where my family came from, do. My mom and sister still wear them, but I’ve stopped, mostly because it makes people look at me different as though I’m not as human as they are, or something. Like I’d be holier than them. I’m talking about other Christians, too, not just someone you pass on the sidewalk. Without it, I feel as though people can talk to me like a normal human being. This sounds weird, I know.:). The type of veil we wore was different, though, – http://www.google.com/search?q=mennonite+cape+dress&prmd=sinv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiuwPKgzLbMAhUKOSYKHSWgAiQQ_AUICCgC&biw=640&bih=287#imgrc=5xfr5t4rQhGRyM%3A . That’s also how our dresses look, but this is just a random pic from Google, not one of us.

April 30, 2016 at 07:45
Schwibz

Schwibz

@verymuchagirl – that is a beautiful dress and I love the head covering! 🙂 I’d love to have a dress like that, but stores around where I live barely sell anything remotely like that and I can’t really sew. 🙂 Most dresses sold around here tend to be a bit too revealing for me to feel comfortable wearing them even just in everyday life, let alone to church, and I strongly prefer dresses/skirts to pants. 🙂

May 5, 2016 at 23:38
verymuchagirl

verymuchagirl

@Schwibz – These dresses are actually very simple to make, just a basic bodice, skirt, and sleeve pattern with a cape thingie over the bodice for added modesty. I prefer to sew my own dresses because I looooooove sewing, and then I can customize them. 🙂
And yes, everyone says they’re beautiful, but most of them wouldn’t do it themselves, so it’s just like they unconsciously hold me at arms length, and don’t let me get any closer. Or – maybe I’m the one doing the holding back? I dunno.

May 6, 2016 at 08:24
Schwibz

Schwibz

@verymuchagirl – My sister and I really want to start wearing dresses like that. Here where we live, there are not many clothing stores around and the options they have are usually not the best… So it’s a good idea to sew your own clothes. I am horrible at sewing but my sister is amazing at it. I wanna learn too though:) Anyway she already made one dress, which will be for me, and I personally love it. It’s so pretty, but also comfortable and modest in my eyes. I was scared people in our town would stare at me if I wore something like that, but no one stares really. 🙂 I guess it’s just me being shy. My parents are missionaries in Russia and I’m used to being held at arms length because of my beliefs and convictions.

June 17, 2016 at 05:28
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.