Girl-to-Girl Talk: How to Deal With an Absent Parent
Written by Christi Given | March 18, 2017
Project Inspired started a group specifically for the Girl Talk questions, which typically come from the Girl Talk chat wall on Facebook. Click here to safely join our chat group.
This week, a PI Girl asked for prayer regarding her dad, who is not in her life. He came to the house unexpectedly and left abruptly. Let us lift this anonymous Project Inspired reader up in prayer, and let us continue to encourage one another on the site and through the Girl Talk forum.
Many of you may be wondering how to deal with single-parent homes and broken families. In our culture, having a blended family or single-parent home is normal, and yet it is not easy on our generation or any child.
One thing I can assure you if you’re dealing with an absent parent or a broken home is that God is your heavenly Father. God loves you so much that He sent His one and only son, Jesus, to die on a cross bearing all of your sins (John 3). You are prized, cherished and adored by the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Regardless of whether you are adopted, live with an aunt or uncle or grandparent, have divorced parents or have a traditional family setting but it just isn’t perfect (nothing is), know that God is your heavenly Dad you can count on.
Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me. (Psalm 27:10)
I want to share some key verses with you to reveal how only God is the same yesterday, today and forever. The Lord God Almighty (the Father) is dependable and eternal. The Lord Jesus is Emmanuel (“God with us”) and never, ever fails us. The Holy Spirit dwells inside of us and is the wonderful counselor, which leads us to all truth and comforts us in our deepest needs. The Bible tells us that even when our parents disappoint us, hurt us or forsake us (or anyone does, for that matter, because no one is perfect), we know that Jesus is always with us. God loves you so much more than you can even fathom or imagine, and He wants you to call upon His name (Jeremiah 33:3, Ephesians 3).
PI Girls, when I was just 14 years old, something tragic happened in my life. I lost my dad suddenly from a heart attack and he passed on to eternity to be with Jesus. I was heartbroken and saddened by my loss, as of course I missed my father, but I always knew God was my HEAVENLY Father, so I had a supernatural strength and peace that kept me steadfast in life.
Do you know this unfailing love? Have you accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior? God the Father wants you to accept His Son, so that you too can enter into His eternal Kingdom. The Lord is so loving and gracious, patient and kind, and awaits your response. God’s love letter to you is the Bible (Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth), and is compiled of the Old Testament (the law and book of Moses) and the New Testament (the new covenant and promise fulfilled of Jesus the Messiah to save humanity from sin and death). The Bible is full of God’s words of hope, love, light and truth, and fills our souls. It is so important to keep a relationship with God by reading His Holy Word (the sword of the spirit; read Ephesians 6), praying and staying in fellowship.
Let us know how we can help you here in the Project Inspired community to grow deeper in your faith so you can understand your value as a child of God.
How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! (1 John 3:1)
Scripture Verses on God’s Love as a Father and His Unchanging Love:
1. Luke 12:32-“Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom.”
2. Romans 8:15-16- “For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, ‘Abba, Father.’ The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.”
3. Matthew 7:9-11- “Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!”
4. John 14:1-2- “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you.”
5. Psalm 27:10- “Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me.”
6. Proverbs 3:11-12- “My son, do not despise the LORD’s discipline, and do not resent his rebuke, because the LORD disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.”
7. Numbers 23:19- “God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent; Has He said, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?”
8. James 1:17- “Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow.”
9. Hebrews 13:8-“Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.”
10. 1 Peter 2:9-“But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.”
PI Girls, have you always known that God is our heavenly Father?