How to Lead Someone to Christ
Written by Christi Given
Posted on September 19, 2015 at 12:00 pm
How do you lead someone to Christ? How do we as believers share this good news and Gospel we have heard? (John 3)
We need to share this news of being born again in this world and having a new start with God by sharing why Jesus died for us.
What is the Gospel? The Gospel, or “good news,” is that Jesus died on the cross, rose on the third day defeating sin and death (taking our place), was resurrected and is the awaited Messiah that was prophesied to come. If we believe in Him and He took our place, then we too are going to be resurrected to have new life, in eternity with God our Father. God loves everyone (the whole world, it says in verse 16 of John 3).
But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who have fallen asleep. For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man. For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. But each in turn: Christ, the first fruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him. Then the end will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father after he has destroyed all dominion, authority and power. (1 Corinthians 15:20-24)
We need to keep our eyes and ears open to those who are seeking out God, who are looking for a friend in Christ, and maybe even keep our eyes out for the opportunity to pray for someone and lead them to Jesus. You would be surprised at how many people will be willing to come to church or at least let you pray for them. If you are willing, then most people are willing.
By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another. (John 13:35)
It takes boldness to step out and to share Jesus with someone or to pray for them, but it is WORTH someone’s eternal destination, amen? This reminds me of the Britt Nicole song “The Lost Get Found,” where she talks about being a light and that “somewhere somebody needs a reason to believe…why don’t you rise up now…that’s how the lost get found.” SO POWERFUL!
…but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth. (Acts 1:8)
Remember, God doesn’t need us; He desires to use us as His warriors and vessels. We GET to be a part of the Kingdom life and share truth with a lost and fallen world.
So how do we share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with the world? Simple. Listen, build a relationship, ask questions and be a friend. Next, be a light, show love, don’t be judgmental and shine for Jesus. If we shine our light, the love of God will ooze out to the world in the darkness, and people will take notice. Sometimes you will encounter people and you won’t even need to mention it first or bring God up—it will come to you!
But we do not belong to those who shrink back and are destroyed, but to those who have faith and are saved. (Hebrews 10:39)
Your anointing will attract others and they will see something different in you! Next, be WILLING to offer to pray for someone and ask God for the boldness to do this. Many people are hurting and need prayer or a friend. It is a kind thing to do, to ask someone (especially if God tells you to do this). Obviously we need to use wisdom and make sure the Holy Spirit is guiding us, but we don’t want to shrink back because the harvest is ripe! People are waiting for you to lead them! Be a leader—you have God with you and the Holy Spirit inside of you!
Behold, He is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see Him, even those who pierced Him; and all the tribes of the earth will mourn over Him. So it is to be. Amen. (Revelation 1:7)
Are you ashamed or embarrassed to tell your friends about Jesus? God says in His Holy Word in the Bible that if you are ashamed of Jesus, He will be ashamed of you and His Father and angels in heaven. We need to not care about man’s opinion and impressing people, and we need to help this broken world. We need to be wise as serpents and gentle as doves (Matthew 10:16). Obviously we don’t want to force our faith on people, because not even God forces us and gives us a choice, but we need to keep in mind that we need to be “unashamed,” just like my favorite rapper Lecrae says. (For those of you who don’t know him, he is super talented and has a group of other artists he collaborates with called the 116 Clique, which is based on Romans 1:16.) So cool! Lecrae even had a tour called “The Unashamed Tour.” LOVE IT!!!
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. (Romans 1:16)
How to Lead People to Christ
1. Love people and be a light. Read John 13:35.
2. Build relationships with people. Don’t judge automatically or be critical. (Let me be clear—we can judge a fellow believer if they are harming themselves or misrepresenting us or even Christ, but when someone is a baby Christian or a new believer or even a nonbeliever, you can’t expect them to be on the same level spiritually as you are.) Also, try not to push your faith on people. Just show them how you live first by your actions, and your words will hold more weight and power.
3. Be gentle, yet wise. Leading people to Jesus can be a process and not necessarily an overnight decision. Of course it is AMAZING when people accept Him as the Lord on the spot and believe He is the Son of God who died for the sins of the world, but with others it may take some time, so pray and be patient. Be a good friend, listen and love, and when they are ready, they will come to you. This is what happened with Nicole (yes, Nicole of PI). I invited her to church; she wasn’t interested at first, and over time as God showed her Himself and revealed things to her, she came to me and asked me more about my faith. It was in God’s timing and His way. Hang in there…God is faithful and prayer is POWERFUL (James 5:16).
4. Be watchful and willing. Be willing to step out of the boat and to witness to others. Be willing to invite others to church. Be willing to be a servant of God and to lead people to Jesus. Are you willing?
5. Realize eternity is on the line. People’s relationships with God and their souls are at stake. We need to be alert, awake spiritually, open to what God has and be honored to share in the co-mission God has for us, amen?
Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. (Romans 10:13)
Pray the Sinner’s Prayer with someone and ask them if they will accept Jesus in their heart to be Lord of their lives. Tell them about baptism and invite them to church! It would be awesome if you could tell them about the Bible app or even give them a Bible! Hallelujah!
PI Girls, how do you share Jesus with your friends? Have you prayed the Sinner’s Prayer with someone?