Beauty & Fashion
Inspired Quiz: Do You Have the Right Attitude About Cosmetics?
Written by Nicole | April 11, 2012
Did you know that makeup can sometimes be bad for you? When it comes to being healthy, making the right decisions and having a good perspective about makeup and other cosmetics is just as important as taking your vitamins and exercising! Take our true/false quiz and see if you’re a cosmetics ace!
1. It’s a good idea to share makeup with your friends. It’s fun and you also get to try makeup that you didn’t have to buy!
2. Once you’re a teenager, you shouldn’t leave the house without wearing some makeup.
3. The packaging that makeup comes in usually keeps it fresh and safe for you to use so you shouldn’t have to worry about it.
4. There’s no expiration date on makeup so you should be able to use it until it’s all gone.
5. There is one standard of beauty that every girl should strive towards which can include using makeup, dieting and dying your hair to achieve that look.
6. Skin problems can be caused by fragrances and preservatives in products like makeup and lotion.
7. Throwing away any makeup if the color changes, or it starts to smell is a good idea.
8. Never use aerosol sprays near heat or where people are smoking, because they can catch on fire.
9. Hypoallergenic cosmetics are safe for everyone.
10. You are beautiful just the way you are.
Don’t look until after you’ve taken the quiz. 🙂
1. False. Sharing makeup can also lead to serious problems. Cosmetic brushes and sponges pick up bacteria from the skin. And if you moisten brushes with saliva, the problem can be worse. Washing your hands before using make-up will help prevent this problem. If you have an eye infection like pinkeye, don’t use any makeup until it clears up and throw away makeup that you were using when you picked up the infection.
2. False. God made you beautiful just the way you are. You should feel comfortable and happy with the way you look just the way you are as well as the kind of makeup you choose to wear.
3. False. Packaging can only do so much to keep your makeup safe to use. Be sure to keep makeup out of the sun and heat. Light and heat can kill the preservatives that help to fight bacteria. Don’t keep cosmetics in a hot car for a long time. Don’t go to sleep with makeup on – when eye makeup gets in your eyes it can cause your eyes to get blood shot as well as scratch your eyes. Using makeup safely is all about smart habits!
4. False. Mascara for instance, should be thrown out after three months. Here’s a handy guide to help you know when to throw out your makeup: Bella Sugar’s Makeup Throw Away Guide.
5. False. Beauty comes in all shapes, sizes and color. Regardless of what you see in the magazines, you have your own unique beauty that you should be proud of! Flaunt it, girl!
6. True. Fragrances and preservatives are the leading cause of skin problems from cosmetics. If you think that cosmetics are causing break outs, opt for products that are fragrance-free. These are some common preservatives that can cause skin irritation and should also be avoided when possible:
- Imidazolidinyl urea
- DMDM hydantoin
8. True. Be very careful about where you use aerosol sprays like hairspray. Additionally, aerosol sprays are not great for the environment. And smoking, as we all know, is terrible for your health (even second-hand smoke!) and can wreak serious havoc on your skin (love your body – please don’t smoke!).
9. False. Hypoallergenic (hy-po-al-ler-gen-ic) cosmetics are products that makers claim cause fewer allergic reactions than other products. However, these products do not have to be FDA approved to be hypoallergenic – the term can mean whatever the manufacturer wants it to mean. So, be sure to read labels, including those for “all natural” products. Some products that have “natural” ingredients can cause allergic reactions, too. If you have an allergy to certain plants or animals, you could have an allergic reaction to cosmetics with those things in them. For example, lanolin from sheep wool is found in many lotions. But it’s a common cause of allergies too.
10. True, true, true! 🙂
How do you feel about makeup?