My 5 Favorite Bible Verses on Creativity!
Written by Jenn Arman | November 1, 2012
Hi girls! This month’s Project Inspired Day is all about celebrating God through creativity, and it’s inspired me to share my favorite Bible verses about creativity with you!
Our God is a tremendously creative God. Everywhere we look outside, there are reminders of how creative God is. Think about some of the things He’s created – dragonflies, hummingbirds, trees that change colors in the autumn, like the Maple, and trees like the Fir that are green all year; think about giraffes, elephants and jellyfish! Our God is so creative and when He created us in His image, He shared with us His capacity for creativity.
Here are some of my favorite verses about creativity!
- “God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them” (Genesis 1:27). If you had any doubt that God is creative or that He passed on the creative ability to us, I’d ask you to notice that the word “create” appears three times in this single verse!
- “And He has filled him with the Spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding and in knowledge and in all craftsmanship” (Exodus 35:31). Exodus 35 talks about the creative tasks that God assigned to His people when they were building the tabernacle and the Ark of the Covenant. It reminds me that any creativity I possess is a gift given to me by Him.
- “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them” (Ephesians 2:10). When we think of this verse, we usually think about “good works” as ways we can help others, and that’s true. Remember though: In the beginning when God was getting creative and bringing everything into existence, He evaluated His creation and decided it was “good.” Creativity can minister to a person’s heart the same way a meal or a hug might.
- “Do you see a man skilled in his work? He will stand before kings; he will not stand before obscure men” (Proverbs 22:29). This says to me that God created us to be skilled in what we do and to be noticed. If you stand before a king, president or other famous leader, you’re going to get noticed; make sure that what you get noticed for–in this case, creativity–reflects God.
- “Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men” (Colossians 3:23). Let’s always remember who has given us our creativity and who we use it to worship.
Ladies, what is your favorite creative act of God?
The heavens are telling of the glory of God; and their expanse is declaring the work of His hands (Psalm 19:1).