posted on March 1, 2012 at 9:50 am
Social networking on sites like Facebook, Myspace and Twitter is a lot of fun! After all, we get to spend time connecting with friends and learning what’s going on in other appropriate social circles. However, it’s very important to set limits on how much time you devote to these sites. Take a minute to try this true/false quiz to see if you’re spending a little too much time on social networking sites!
Answer “Yes” or “No” to the following questions:
- Do you find yourself spending SEVERAL hours a day on social networking sites?
- When you’re studying for a test, do you sometimes stop studying just so that you can post on Facebook?
- Does it take you longer than necessary to finish homework because you frequently stop to participate in social networking?
- Do you frequently check social media sites while you’re at school?
- Are you engaged in social networking while you’re in church or Sunday School?
- Do you spend more time on social networking sites than you do reading the Bible and other wholesome books?
- Are you on social networking sites when you’re doing family activities?
- Are you bored and don’t know what else to do if you don’t have access to Facebook (e.g. your computer is down or your cell phone isn’t cooperating)?
- Do your parents complain that you spend too much time on social networking sites?
- Do you ALWAYS post on Facebook instead of picking up the phone and giving someone you love a call?
If you have 4 or fewer “Yes” responses:
Congratulations! You’re able to balance your online and offline activities. You know that social networking can be fun, but you also understand there’s more to life and having fun than living on the computer. Good job!
If you have 5-7 “Yes” responses:
You’re usually pretty good at balancing your online and offline life; however, you do get distracted sometimes. Remember, social networking is fun and useful, but don’t let yourself be torn away from more important things.
If you have 8 or more “Yes” responses:
You may want to reconsider how much time you spend on social networking sites. Social networking is fun and can be quite useful, but balance is important. There are SO many more things to experience OFFLINE. We’re not saying to stop networking online, but make sure that you prioritize what’s most important first.
Note: Social networking is great and we especially love to see you interacting on Project Inspired’s website and Facebook page. We don’t discourage you from using any appropriate social networking site, but it’s important to balance your online and offline life!
How much time do you spend on social networking sites each day? Do you ever feel like you spend too much time online?