posted on November 6, 2011 at 11:01 am
When I wrote my blog on the VMAs, I made mention of Britney Spears turning over a new, seemingly positive leaf. I’m sad to say that I was wrong.
In the video for her latest single “Criminal,” Spears and her boyfriend, Jason Trawick, channel a Bonnie and Clyde theme with very intimate scenes mixed in. The video is posted below, but be warned: It is extremely racy and contains inappropriate content.
Britney Spears is a former Mouseketeer, but she surrendered her innocent, good girl image. It’s safe to say that Spears has had major ups and downs as she transitioned into womanhood.
Does this have to be the case for all young female starlets?
Selena Gomez has made news recently with an ad promoting the upcoming MTV European Music Awards show which she will be hosting. Although she seems to be making more of a positive transition than Spears, she has still made some questionable decisions and received criticism for it. Take a look at the video.
The “sexualizing” of young female stars as they transition into adults is a product of the Devil’s Playground. Why is this system still accepted and not questioned?
Disney’s “Hannah Montana” made Miley Cyrus famous for a true gift – singing. The daughter of Billy Ray Cyrus, Miley held her own as a singer-songwriter with her mature, smoky voice. But in her attempt to transition away from Hannah Montana, Cyrus began dressing very provocatively. She did some pole dancing at the Teen Choice Awards in 2009 and posed in a controversial photo shoot with her father.
Christina Aguilera, Demi Lovato, Lindsey Lohan … these are all young women who seem to believe that the only road to success in this industry is to strip or be sexual. For young rising starlets looking to transition into women, the peer pressure must be enormous.
In the September issue of the journal Sexuality & Culture, a study was published stating that celebrity women are becoming more sexualized in the media, often to the point of pornography. If this is the case, will someone like Selena be asked to do a controversial cover for a magazine like Rolling Stone, which seems to try to get females to bare as much as possible?
However, even when you’re young, you can make responsible choices and you should if you’re a role model. These women need to think about the message they are sending regarding what they are willing to do and how far they are willing to go.
All these ladies have talent that was given to them by God. They have something more than their sexuality that can keep them in the limelight and keep their popularity growing if they just believe it’s true. It’s time that starlets keep their clothes on when they transition into women and take control of their destinies with dignity and integrity.
In any circumstance, sexualizing yourself is the easy way out. It doesn’t take talent, and the attention that it get you will not lead to true happiness because you give up your self-respect and the respect of others.
What these ladies have not figured out is that there are actually healthier ways in which they can make their transition from girl to woman. Here are some tips.
- They should focus on the talent. In all these cases, it is the talent that made these women famous. Whatever the talent is, they should develop it and mature it. And that doesn’t mean steaming up songs or acting roles. Sex and relationships don’t have to be their focus.
- They must remember their audience. In each case, a young audience made up the majority of the celebrity’s fan base. These young girls follow the celebrity and often emulate her actions, including dressing and acting provocatively.
- They shouldn’t ignore the future. This is an important one for many reasons. At some point these women will be parents; Spears and Aguilera already are. Whatever they do now will be viewed by their children in the future. How will their children react? How will their children’s friends react? What kind of legacy are these celebrities leaving?
- They need to honor themselves. This means dressing in a manner that is appropriate. It means loving themselves. And it means respecting themselves and expecting others to respect them.
- Most importantly, they should honor God in their transition. If they understood that their body is His, they would recognize that whenever they disrespect it, they are disrespecting Him.
Below are three attractive and successful celebrities who are elegant and dignified: actress AnnaSophia Robb and singers Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood. No one can deny that these three females are women and not girls. Their sexuality is obvious, but they’re also true to themselves and true to God.
I think that Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, Christina Aguilera and others will look back one day and regret their decisions to sexualize themselves. What do you think? In the age of the Internet, in which everything posted will remain forever, they’ll be reminded of their choicees. Their children will see them. Their grandchildren will see them.
Let’s pray that female child stars recognize their worth and that growing up doesn’t mean taking off their clothes. Let’s also pray that Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, Christina Aguilera, Selena Gomez, and others reevaluate the direction that they’re heading in. May God open their eyes to their destructive behavior and remind them that they have an amazing talent that will take them far and doesn’t require them compromising their self-respect. May God open up their hearts to Him.