Games & Fun
Summer Hacks: 10 DIY Projects and Ideas
Written by Christi Given | July 9, 2016
It’s officially summer, and boy, has it been hot! Here are some tips for those of you who like to try new and innovative lifestyle tips that will just make your life easier, more fun and/or productive!
For the first summer life hack, I want to share that if you are extremely hot and need to quickly cool off, you can run your wrist under cool water; another idea is to wet a washcloth and put it on your head or neck if you have no AC at home.
Another idea was inspired by Alexa Mae’s YouTube video “10 Fun Summer DIY Project Ideas You Need to Try!” She had the idea to copy the Starbucks Vanilla Bean Frappuccino—check out the recipe below! You can also make some other tasty treats, such as homemade ice cream sandwiches (cookies and your favorite ice cream flavor), or you can make yogurt popsicles at home.
The next idea is to cut and carve the inside of a pineapple and use it as a flower vase for a summer party with friends and family. This is SUCH a cute idea; again, watch the video by vlogger Alexa Mae right here to see her cute DIY ideas for 2016.
If you want to have a cool temporary sun tattoo, you can cut a heart, star or a cross in a Band-Aid on the sticky portion and tan for about an hour, and you should have a tattoo once you peel off the Band-Aid. Next, I love the idea of making flavored ice cubes by filling the trays with either your favorite iced coffee, smoothie, coconut milk with juice, or lemonade and basil! So fresh and cool, and it helps keep your drinks from being watered down!
Do you like to make fun items at home and DIY? Then you may want to take an old blouse or T-shirt with a cool pattern or color, cut it out and make your own homemade headbands. This is so much fun to do with friends and is a great way to be a leader and fashionista trendsetter! Go girls!
My 10 Favorite Life Hack/DIY Ideas for This Summer
1. Stay cool. Since the heat wave, I’ve wanted to share some tips on how to cool off, so here are some ideas: run hands under cold water; use a cold washcloth to wet your neck and forehead if you are home and have no AC.
2. Make yogurt popsicles and frozen treats. If you want a sweet, cool treat and want to make something healthy, you can make yogurt pops from home or vanilla bean fraps that taste just like the ones from your favorite coffee shop, thanks to YouTuber Alexa Mae.
Here is the recipe for the Starbucks Copy Vanilla Frap:
- 1 cup ice
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 scoops vanilla bean ice cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream (optional)
Blend the first five ingredients in a blender. Pour into a glass and top with whipped cream, if desired.
3. Make a pineapple flower vase. Cut the top of the pineapple, carve it like a pumpkin (eat the inside of the fruit—so yum!), then put a plastic cup of water inside and put beautiful flowers in the center in the water cup. Voilá! You have a cute centerpiece for a summer party or for your kitchen countertop!
Note: Another great idea is to spray-paint the top part of the leaves of pineapples with bright paint and use them as decor. So clever and fun! Love it!
4. Get a sun tattoo with a Band-Aid. Cut out a heart or star in the sticky part of a Band-Aid and put it on your shoulder. Then, after you tan, you take off the Band-Aid and you have a sun tattoo where you didn’t get tan in the shape that you cut out! (Tip: Don’t cut the part where there is the bandage, only the sticky part.)
5. Fill ice cube trays with juice, lemonade or iced tea. If you want to keep your drinks cool, put juice or tea in your ice cube tray! Also, do you like watered-down coffee? (No, of course not!) To avoid this, fill your ice cube tray with the leftover coffee you couldn’t drink from your coffee pot. (Wait until the coffee is cool to pour it into the tray.)
[Image: ohjoy.blogs.com; source: ohjoy.blogs.com/my_weblog/2013/05/fruity-summer-striped-ice-cubes.html]
6. Make your own headbands. Use material from your favorite old blouse or sweatshirt. Know that bows are in, so you can design it with a bow shape, or if you’re satisfied with a pattern, make it unique!
7. Use cupcake liners as lids for drinks: Not only is this SUPER adorable, but it’s also smart because it prevents bugs from flying into your drink, and doesn’t allow sand in your smoothie or whatever you are sipping. You can have a lot of fun buying different patterns and colors and coordinating them with a summer-themed party! Tip: Use a rubber band to secure the cupcake liner over your drinks.
8. Make watermelon “popsicles.” Buy wooden popsicle sticks and put them in triangle-cut watermelon pieces, and there you have it…delicious watermelon treats, easy to eat! Yum!!!
Watch the full Life Hacks YouTube video from vlogger Miss Mikayla G right here.
9. Use wire hangers with colorful cloth to hang shoes: Need to make room in your closet for sandals or cute flip-flops? Make your own shoe holders with flexible wire hangers and cloth (for decoration, or you can paint them).
Supplies you will need:
- Wire hangers
- Spray paint
10. Put your sunscreen in the fridge. Keep your tanning oil and sunscreen cold so when you lie out in the sun, it won’t be hot and melting. This is also cooling to the skin and is a luxury if you’re baking by the pool. Love it!
PI Girls, what is YOUR favorite DIY project or tip? Comment below! Happy Summer! 🙂