Top 10 Favorite Martin Luther King, Jr. Quotes
Written by T.M. Gaouette | January 18, 2014
Ladies, Martin Luther King, Jr. was an amazing man and an awesome speaker. He recognized the meaning of civil rights and he knew how to inspire millions of people of all walks of life.
In remembrance of this great leader, and in celebration of Martin Luther King, Jr. day on Monday, I wanted to highlight some of my favorite quotes of his. I could be here quoting him all day (it was tough to narrow down my list–I know later I will remember yet another quote I love and kick myself for forgetting it!), so I chose 10 of his quotes on 10 different and very important themes. Enjoy!
- Work ethic.“If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as a Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, ‘Here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well.’”
- Service. “Everybody can be great…because anybody can serve. You don’t have to have a college degree to serve. You don’t have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.”
- Struggles. “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”
- Love. “Now there is a final reason I think that Jesus says, ‘Love your enemies.’ It is this: that love has within it a redemptive power. And there is a power there that eventually transforms individuals. Just keep being friendly to that person. Just keep loving them, and they can’t stand it too long. Oh, they react in many ways in the beginning. They react with guilt feelings, and sometimes they’ll hate you a little more at that transition period, but just keep loving them. And by the power of your love they will break down under the load. That’s love, you see. It is redemptive, and this is why Jesus says love. There’s something about love that builds up and is creative. There is something about hate that tears down and is destructive. So love your enemies.”
- Equality. “I want to be the white man’s brother, not his brother-in-law.”
- Faith. “Faith is taking the first step even when you can’t see the whole staircase.”
- Integrity. “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.”
- Do right. “Never, never be afraid to do what’s right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society’s punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.”
- Justice. “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
- Forgiveness. “Forgiveness is not an occasional act; it is a constant attitude.”
Ladies, which of Martin Luther King, Jr.’s words have inspired you? Share them below; we so love to hear from you!