Beauty & Fashion
Undergarments and the Exposed Bra Trend: What’s Appropriate for Christian Teens?
Written by T.M. Gaouette
Posted on April 26, 2012 at 3:25 pm
What is the purpose of undergarments? Underwear is your private clothing worn under your main clothes. They include bras, panties and briefs, and there are multiple purposes for them:
- These items are worn against the skin and underneath your regular clothes. They keep outer garments from being soiled by bodily excretions.
- Underclothes also provide additional warmth in colder weather.
- They provide support. For example, if you have a large bust, then bras provide security by preventing uncomfortable and somewhat embarrassing movement.
- Underwear also provides modesty, by offering an extra layer to cover the private areas of the body.
These are the main functions of underwear. However, underwear has since evolved– ironically, many of its new uses defeat its original purpose.
As with everything, the devil has placed his mark even on underwear. These days, the majority of underwear is designed to be seen by others. They are designed to look “hot” and sexy, so women can feel sexy and ultimately cause men to lust over them. Women can reveal their “sexy” undergarments in private, or they can show them peeking out of their clothing, either under transparent blouses or sticking out of fitted tops.
Because of this transition, it can be difficult to know what is actually appropriate for Christian teens when it comes to shopping for underwear. If you’re concerned and want to make sure the underclothes you choose are appropriate, ask yourself one question:
Who’s going to see them? (The answer should be “No one.”)
Then go on to select underwear that meets the four original purposes as listed above.
What’s appropriate is what’s necessary when selecting underwear. Modesty is always the key. Colors can be muted to match your skin color or the clothes you’ll be wearing over them.
When selecting undergarments, stay away from the following:
- Garments that enhance your physical self so as to look sexy. For example, a padded bra that enhances or pushes up the size of your bust is inappropriate.
- Sexy underwear is also inappropriate, because its intention is to make you feel sexy or cause men to be lustful. Both of these are not acceptable if your desire is to be a Christian girl who follows Christ.
This is not to say that you can’t buy pretty underwear. But it should be for your own purpose and no one else’s. Remember also that pretty does not mean “sexy.”
Whatever underwear you decide to choose, remember to cover it up. Your underwear is exactly that…your underwear. It should not be exposed for the world to see.
Ladies, what do you think about these guidelines?
*Note from Nicole* Exposing your bra is apparently “cool” right now, but it’s trashy and not classy. Girls be an example to the other girls at your school and don’t fall for this stupid trend! Have you seen other girls wearing (or not wearing) this look? I encourage you to tell the girl that she’s pretty and doesn’t need to show off her bra to show it!