What To Do When The Boy That You Like Likes Someone Else
Written by Aysha Ives
Posted on May 15, 2012 at 6:49 am
Dating can be pretty complicated, especially when you like someone who likes someone else. This can be a tough pill to swallow and rather hurtful. So what should you do in this situation? Here are some suggestions:
• Prayer. God says that He’ll always be there to comfort you. Ask Him for the strength that you need to work through the disappointment so that you’re better able to accept that you’re just friends.
• Make a mental note to self: You are special! Don’t think for a single second that this means there’s something wrong with you. That’s simply NOT true. There are a ton of reasons why some relationships don’t work out or never happen. Remember, God closes some doors so that He can open others.
When I was your age I wasn’t allowed to date. Even as I entered my twenties, I struggled with dating. Unfortunately, I felt inept and like guys just didn’t notice me. As I became more confident in my greatness as a child of God, I realized that there was NOTHING wrong with me and that God had someone special for me. I discovered that it’s okay that the other guys didn’t like me because they weren’t who God had created for me. All this to say, God has someone JUST FOR YOU and when that time comes, the other relationships just won’t seem to matter!
• Respect your friendship. If the guy that you like likes someone else, don’t try to sabotage that relationship. Remember to treat others the way that you want to be treated. The Bible says this:
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets (Matthew 7:12).
• Give yourself some space. If it’s too hard to watch the boy that you like dating someone else, it’s okay to distance yourself from him. You shouldn’t try to sabotage the relationship, but you don’t have to subject yourself to additional pain, either. Being a good friend means knowing your limits and taking some time away when you need it. It’s much easier to be a good friend AFTER you’ve healed and regenerated yourself.
• Keep yourself occupied. Try to keep your mind off the situation by engaging in new and exciting activities. It’s easier to move forward when you’re doing other things and interacting with other people regularly. Sitting at home depressed will just make the situation worse.
• Remember that it’s okay to choose to WAIT to date. Dating can sometimes produce unnecessary pressure and premature emotional attachment. You can avoid some emotional pain simply by choosing to wait until you’re older to date. Whatever you choose, whether its to date or to wait, remember that you’re God’s girl and you’re worthy of respect.
I know it isn’t fun when you like someone who likes someone else, but remember that in due season, you’ll meet your future husband. When that happens, what’s going on now will be like a distant memory.