Back to School
10 Cool Things About Being Homeschooled
Written by T.M. Gaouette | August 7, 2014
Hey ladies, I know that a lot of you are homeschooled. I’m actually blessed because I’m able to write from home and homeschool my children.
There’s no doubt that most homeschoolers perform very well academically, but learning from home can feel a little isolating sometimes, like you’re out of the loop with kids who attend regular school. Am I right? Getting schooled at home is definitely a huge difference, and even though you may sometimes get frustrated with it, there are tons of advantages.
So, if you’re feeling a tad discouraged, here’s a list to cheer you up and remind you of all the cool things about being homeschooled.
- You don’t have to stress about what to wear. It’s like you need a whole new wardrobe every time school is back in session. And that can be really stressful, especially if your parents don’t have the funds to splash out every year. When you’re homeschooled, you can wear what you want, even those awesome jeans you bought a couple seasons back!
- You don’t have the stress of cliques. Talk about segregation. The “jocks” and cheerleaders sit here and the “nerds” over there. Even to this day, regular school can seem like a scene from Grease. There’s this huge desire to belong somewhere or you’re a “nobody,” but with homeschooling you’re you—just as your siblings and your other homeschooled friends are individuals. And it’s great to be you and not have to hide behind a façade.
- You get to choose your friends. If you don’t get on with someone, you don’t have to hang out with them. With homeschooling, you can pick and choose the people you hang out with.
- It’s drama-free! When you’re homeschooled, your learning environment is not interrupted by gossip and boys. Being in a regular school can be very distracting. There’s that cute boy you adore, that girl you don’t like or that “frenemy” who’s always causing issues. So much drama!
- You have more of a choice about what to learn. How great is it that you can have an interest in a subject or book and have that be included in your curriculum? Homeschooling allows you to focus on the subjects that interest you.
- You have control over your own day. Well, for the most part. Of course, your parents dictate your curriculum, but your work is completed at your own pace. Whether you’re a fast worker or a slow one, homeschooling allows you to do your work at a pace that suits you.
- You have extra time to do the things you love. Most homeschooling days are usually shorter than regular school days because when the work is done, you’re done. You don’t have to waste time walking from class to class, waiting for the teacher to finish with other students before helping you or waiting for class or the day to end. This means that you can spend the rest of the time doing the things you want to do.
- There’s no homework. Granted, your whole school day is homework, but during the evening when most kids are plugging away at their homework, you’re likely enjoying that family time that’s so important to family dynamics.
- You have a much wider access to sports. The fact that you can partake in sports at regular schools or with private associations gives you a huge choice when it comes to sports and extra-curricular activities.
- You can snack while you work. Right? There’s nothing like a chocolate chip cookie and a glass of milk while tackling long division! Makes math more pleasant!
Ladies, are you homeschooled? What do you love about it?