Games & Fun
10 Fun Things to Do with Your Friends on Valentine’s Day
Written by Project Inspired | February 13, 2014
While it’s easy to feel a bit discouraged if you’re single on Valentine’s Day, it’s important to remember that the day of love doesn’t have to be all about couples. It’s a great day to remember all the loves in your life, and that includes your family and friends. So even if you don’t have a date tomorrow night, you can still plan a great night out or in with your best buds! With that in mind, we dreamed up 10 awesome ways you can celebrate the holiday with your closest pals. Don’t forget to tell us all about your own ideas in the comments below!
- Plan a mini film festival or double feature. Invite your friends over for a movie night at home. Either hit up Redbox together and rent some new releases, or come up with a theme and get some classics. If you want to stay true to the holiday, you could do a double feature of two of your favorite romantic flicks (we love classics like Breakfast at Tiffany’s!), but it really can be whatever you and your group enjoy. Don’t forget the popcorn!
- Have a Valentine’s Day bake-off and get your friends together to make cupcakes, cookies or cakes in your kitchen. You could have a competition or just collaborate on something yummy.
- Throw a clothing swap! Tell your your best buds to come over to your house with a bag of unwanted clothes in tow. Once everyone is over, have them dump all of their duds on the floor in a pile and one by one, everyone can go through and pick out a new piece. Since your friends might have lots of different sizes, it’s good to include accessories, jewelry, purses and other knick-knacks in the mix.
- Have a game night, with everyone bringing over their favorite board game or app (like Heads Up!). You can have fun trying out everyone’s game and learning more about your friends in the process! Have lots of friends who are into video games? Do that instead, with everyone bringing their favorite game over…just make sure you have all the systems you’ll need to play everything.
- Host a DIY night. This could entail whatever best suits your friends. Maybe, in the celebration of friendship, you all get together and make friendship bracelets. If you’d rather focus on the holiday at hand, look into making one of these DIYs for Valentine’s Day.
- Movie night! Round up your closest gal pals and hit the cinema to see an awesome flick. It doesn’t have to be romantic, either! We hear that the Lego movie is pretty hilarious…
- Eat out. While most nice or popular restaurants will be packed with lovebirds, you and your friends can hit up a diner or more casual spot and skip the long lines. While at dinner, you can come up with a fun way to keep things interesting, like having everyone order something they’ve never had before or by playing a card game or get-to-know-you game at the table.
- Browse the mall. Before heading to the mall, write down everyone’s name who will be there and have everyone draw one out of a hat. While you’re out shopping, everyone can buy a gift (something small, $10 or under) for the person whose name they chose.
- Head to your favorite bookstore and have everyone grab their favorite book. Then, find a comfy corner to hang with your friends, and go around in a circle telling everyone why you love your book and reading one of your favorite excerpts. You can choose whether to make it love-themed or not, but this is a great way to get to know your friends better and to discover new, awesome books.
- Hit the trails. Looking for a daytime/after-school idea? Hit up a hiking spot or park near your house with friends and get your sweat on! Exercise makes you feel awesome, and it’s a great way to spend the afternoon with friends. Once you finish, borrow the phone of whoever is lucky enough to have a smartphone with Spotify, and have everyone go around and play their favorite cheesy love song! Sing along, laugh and feel lucky you have such awesome friends.
Girls, which plan is your favorite? And how will you be spending Friday night?