Looking for some ways to bring glory to God while celebrating Valentine’s Day? Whether you’ve chosen to date or wait, here are some things that you can do to have fun on February 14th!
1. Bake heart-shaped cookies and deliver them to a homeless shelter. Include a card signed “God loves you!” Imagine how much joy this simple gesture can give others.
2. Make or purchase cards to send overseas to the troops. Remember to remind them of how much God loves them, too! What a way to brighten someone’s day!
3. Make goodie bags to share with your children’s church or youth ministry. Don’t forget to make one for your pastor or Bible study teacher!
4. Write a love letter to God! Tell Him how much you appreciate Him and all the wonderful things that He does for you. Then read your letter aloud. God will be overjoyed, as He loves to be in the presence of His children as we praise Him.
Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise; give thanks to Him and praise His name. For the LORD is good and His love endures forever; His faithfulness continues through all generations. (Psalms 100:4-5)
5. Volunteer to babysit for a couple so that they can have a night out. This is a great way to demonstrate love for others!
6. If you’ve chosen not to date, try a girls’ night out (or in). Grab a couple of buddies, decide what you want to do and then have some fun! Be sure to use wisdom in your activity choices.
7. Get together with your siblings (or do it yourself if you’re an only child) and plan a Valentine’s Day surprise for your parents. You might want to cook dinner, save your allowance and send them to the movies, or arrange for a family portrait. There are a TON of things you can do to bring a smile to your parents’ faces!
8. Volunteer at a youth center or an after-school program. While you’re there, you could help younger children make Valentine’s Day cards for their parents.
9. Surprise someone who is feeling a little down with a special Valentine’s Day treat. Try leaving him or her a gift card, some cookies or an uplifting card. Be anonymous and leave a note that only says “Jesus loves you!” This will keep the spotlight on God’s love for this person!
Valentine’s Day is supposed to be about love. “God is love” (1 John 4:8), therefore everything we do should demonstrate the love of Christ. Allow the love of God to trickle down through YOU to someone else this Valentine’s Day!