Every week, I go through the “Girl Talk” section of Project Inspired and look for those seeking advice and counsel. I want to help answer some questions you may have about living out your Christian life and walk of faith! We want PI to be a safe place where you can ask questions.
Many girls are crying out for help on the live chats and also in the Girl Talk Forums. Some are depressed and even are hurting themselves or know of peers who are. Let us pray for one another and encourage each other in the Lord. Leave a prayer request in the forum and/or join the chat here.
Have you ever heard a lie that you knew wasn’t true, but yet, you still believed it? Have you ever felt like the media (through TV, films, magazines or ads) was deceitful? The world has so many messages coming at us from every direction. Not only that, most ARE from the prince of the world and the father of lies…Satan (John 8:44). Some lies we frequently hear are “You aren’t thin enough,” “You aren’t pretty enough,” “You need the next best thing (you can never be satisfied enough),” and the list goes on.
“Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.” –Psalm 119: 105
The result of these lies is a deterrent for the people of God to not follow their God-given destiny. This is the tragedy–when we BELIEVE the lie. We all fall in this trap in one way or another ; we are all sinners, so no one is exempt. We all have been lied to and all have sinned. It says in the Bible, “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” –Romans 3:23
How do we respond to these lies? As people of God, we need to use the resource God has given us. The Bible (also known as the acronym: Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth) is filled with the truth. The Word is the Lord’s inspired words, His holy instructions on how to live the BEST life of truth, love and peace.
“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness…” -2 Timothy 3:16
We need to combat the lies with the truth. When we fix our eyes on Jesus our Savior and glorify God in our lives, the enemy has to flee. (James 4:7) The lies we tell ourselves and the lies from the enemy are like the fiery darts and the living water (Jesus and the Word) extinguishes those lies. (Ephesians 6: 10-18, John 4:10)
“Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.” –James 4:7
Before you leave the house in the morning read a Bible verse–you will be symbolically putting on your gear, your protection for the day. When the truth is on the forefront of your mind, you will be more aware of the lies, and able to detect them and dismiss them. Imagine going to battle with no sword, no shield or helmet…that would be foolish. Just in the same way, we need to wear the FULL ARMOR OF GOD (read Ephesians 6) to conquer temptation and the lies of the world. Also, prayer is key as well.
10 Lies We Believe (and Scriptures to Combat Them!)
1. I am not good enough. (You are a royal daughter of the King. 1 Peter 2:9)
2. I might fail. (God goes before you and doesn’t want you to worry! Deuteronomy 3:18)
3. I might not have enough money. (God is Jehovah—that means provider. He will meet all of your needs for His glory! Philippians 4:19)
4. There seems to be no way. This is impossible. (Jesus IS the WAY. John 14:6)
5. How will I make it? Which way should I go? (Pray to God, He will show the right path. Seek His word; it will light your way. Psalm 119:105)
6. I am not pretty enough or the right weight. (God knit you in your mother’s womb and YOU are fearfully and wonderfully made! Jeremiah 1, Psalm 139)
7. I might mess up my future. (God knows His plans for you to prosper YOU and not for evil or harm! Believe that! Trust in God! Jeremiah 29:11)
8. I can sin and no one will know. (God sees all things and knows all things. Romans 6:23, Job 28:24)
9. There won’t be a consequence for my sin. (God is our Father and disciplines those He LOVES. When He corrects you, it is for YOUR good. Proverbs 3:12)
10. I am a failure. God doesn’t love me. (God SO LOVED YOU He sent and GAVE His ONE and only Son Jesus to die for your sins on the cross. There is no condemnation in Christ–You are healed by the blood of Jesus on Calvary. John 3:16)
“The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” –Deuteronomy 3:10
PI girls, if you need more help, here is an inspiring and helpful resource: The Lies Young Women Believe. On the website, you can find videos, testimonies, resources, blogs and more to help you in your faith!
PI girls, does this help you? What lies have you refuted with the Word of God?