Let’s face it: Everyday life can be confusing, and sometimes we all need a little help navigating it! When it comes to learning life lessons, a little perspective from someone who’s already been there definitely can go a long way.
Regina Brett, a 50-something from Cleveland, wrote a column for The Plain Dealer on 45 life lessons she’s learned, plus “a few to grow on,” rounding it out to 50 total. The column, in her words, “is the most-requested column I’ve ever written” and has lived on in infamy on the web. We wanted to share our 10 favorites from the list with you and invite you to add your own in the comments below. Enjoy!
1. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don’t worry; God never blinks.
2. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
3. Frame every so-called disaster with these words: ‘In five years, will this matter?’
4. Forgive everyone everything.
5. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn’t do.
6. Read the Psalms. They cover every human emotion.
7. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
8. Get rid of anything that isn’t useful, beautiful or joyful.
9. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
10. Life isn’t tied with a bow, but it’s still a gift.
What’s the most important life lesson you’ve ever learned? Which of these will you take to heart?