Recently, a PI Girl asked if insecurity is a sin. Click here to read the full post or to join our Girl Talk forum and to ask any questions.
I wouldn’t say insecurity is a SIN, but I would say doubt, holding back, burying your talents (Matthew 25:13-40) and living in fear is not pleasing to God. There are many verses on God saying and commanding, “Do not fear….” We need to be obedient to this because God knows worrying doesn’t add anything to our lives; rather, it just wastes time and energy. Insecurity stems from doubt, fear and a lack of confidence, but when we are confident in GOD, not in ourselves, that is when we have the victory.
I can do all this through him who gives me strength. (Philippians 4:13)
God does call us to be bold, to not shrink back, and to walk in the spirit, to walk in victory. The Word of God has said the Lord hasn’t given us a spirit of timidity (2 Timothy 1:7). We all feel at times that we may not be eligible or qualified, but we need to walk in the security of our royalty as daughters of the King.
Here are 10 verses to help you overcome insecurity:
1. Philippians 4:13: “I can do ALL things THROUGH Christ who gives me strength.” This means that we can’t do the things God calls us to do on our own. We need the power of Christ in us by the Holy Spirit, and when we lean on him, we have total victory.
2. Galatians 5:16: “So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.” When we walk with God and deny our flesh, we will understand our royal identity and know that in the end God has already won and “it is finished.”
3. 1 John 4:18: “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.” This verse says that the one who fears isn’t made perfect in God’s love…we need to have a revelation of HOW MUCH GOD LOVES US!
4. Matthew 25:29: “For to everyone who has will more be given, and he will have an abundance. But from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.” If you are faithful with the little things, God will entrust you with more, and the same goes with trusting God in your capabilities. Step out, volunteer, give, be a good steward, do things for God’s Kingdom even if you are scared…God will be with you!
5. Hebrews 10:38: “But my righteous one will live by faith. And I take no pleasure in the one who shrinks back.” God is not pleased when we doubt Him, or bow down to fear. God goes before us and wants us to be courageous. Our actions and lives represent how much we trust Him and what we are willing to do to serve His Kingdom.
6. 1 Peter 2:9: “But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.” Remind yourself you are REAL royalty! We come from the King of Kings and Lord of Lords and are called to be leaders, while following Christ…we have the authority of leadership because Christ died for us, taking our place and making us heirs as God’s children.
7. Galatians 3:26-27: “So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.” You are God’s child, and if you are walking in the fruits of the Spirit and honoring God with your life in faith, then you are a child of LIGHT, not darkness. Fear is of the enemy, doubt is equivalent to the oceans being tossed to and fro in the sea, and courage comes from God’s truth, which sets us free.
8. James 1:22: “Do not merely listen to the Word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.” Be not only a hearer of the Word, but a doer of the Word. Yes, we all have feelings of fear or doubt, and we can tend to listen to our thoughts or walk in a spirit contrary to God’s Word, but the Lord is very clear that we not only read the Bible, but that we also ask God for strength to do what God asks us. God will help us to walk in obedience when we humble ourselves and surrender our lives to Him. It is IMPOSSIBLE to do this alone in our own strength, which is why we need God’s daily bread (spiritual food), the living water of the Word and communion with Him through prayer. Let’s be doers, not doubters, amen?!
9. James 1:6: “But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.” Believe and don’t doubt God’s Word. God keeps His Word and is FAITHFUL!
10. Psalm 139:13: “For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.” Don’t compare yourself to others, as God knit you in your Mother’s womb and has a unique call and destiny for YOUR life.
We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise. (2 Corinthians 10:12)
PI Girls, do you struggle with insecurity or comparison? Write down these verses, stick them on your mirror or vanity, read them when you’re getting ready and REHEARSE God’s truth! You are God’s royal daughter and Princess! Comment below for prayer requests!