Hey sweet girls, there is much written in the Bible about living in the world but not being of it:
“Do not conform yourselves to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect.” (Romans 12:2)
Basically, it means that Christians should be able to live in the world without being negatively influenced by worldly things, such as greed, hate, pride, temptation, lust, immorality and immodesty.
But these days, it seems as if you can’t even turn around without being at least a witness to one or more of these things. So now what? How can we Christians live in a world full of ungodliness while still remaining true to His Word in everything we do and say?
You may have already discovered how difficult it actually is, but it’s not impossible…at least, not without God by your side! Here are 10 scriptures that can help you be in the world without being of it.
- “Do not despise prophetic utterances. Test everything; retain what is good. Refrain from every kind of evil.” (1 Thessalonians 5:20-22) Knowledge is key in this world. God wants us to be smart, but He doesn’t want us to be steered in the wrong direction or worse, steered away from Him. It’s important to learn, but in learning, you must always use discernment. You will meet knowledgeable people from all walks of life and on all sides of all issues–use discernment in accepting what they try to teach you, because not everything can be right in God’s eyes. Study. Get the facts, “test everything” and always bring your knowledge back to God and His Word.
- “I will not set before my eyes anything that is base.” (Psalm 101:3) Everything you do affects who you are, and everything you see will likely instill something positive or negative within your heart. You can be strengthened as a Christian or weakened as one by what you see, so avoid being witness to ungodly behavior and activities, as it can guide you away from what God teaches.
- “Let no evil talk come out of your mouths, but only what is useful for building up, as there is need, so that your words may give grace to those who hear.” (Ephesians 4:29) Show others in the world the beauty of Christianity by being a Christian in all senses of the word. In everything you do and say, glorify God and show those around you, Christians and non-Christians alike, how God wants us to behave and how beautiful and inspiring that behavior is.
- “Discipline yourselves, keep alert. Like a roaring lion your adversary the devil prowls around, looking for someone to devour.” (1 Peter 5:8) Just as there is a God who works in you for goodness in this world, there is also a negative being who wants to work against Him. Evil is real and it will find its way into everything and everyone who is receptive. Be watchful at all times and never let your guard down.
- “No testing has overtaken you that is not common to everyone. God is faithful, and He will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but with the testing He will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it.” (1 Corinthians 10:13) No matter what temptation comes your way, remember that God is always there, and through Him you can overcome every sin. He is stronger that all of it and He has given you a way out of all temptation!
- “Anyone, then, who knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, commits sin.” (James 4:17) You are responsible and accountable for all of your behavior and actions. If you know something is wrong, then stay away from it!
- “Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.” (Philippians 4:6) To worry is to not trust in God. So don’t worry or be afraid. You have God with you at all times! Hand your worries over to Him and find peace in the knowledge that He will bear the burden and help solve your dilemma.
- “All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, so that everyone who belongs to God may be proficient, equipped for every good work.” (2 Timothy 3:16-17) The Bible has the answers to everything. Seriously! It’s the Word. It’s your guide in this world. Know it well, refer to it always and live by it.
- “So I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.” (Mark 11:24) This is so important to remember (and don’t assume that it means that if you want a pair of shoes, pray and believe and you will get them!). Pray for discernment, strength, patience, guidance and all of the necessary traits that you will need to help you in this world.
- “Yet if any of you suffers as a Christian, do not consider it a disgrace, but glorify God because you bear this name.” (1 Peter 4:16) God knows that being a Christian is not always going to be easy. But He wants you to hold onto Him and His love. Find your strength in Him and His Word and He will get you through safely.
Ladies, being in the world without being of it takes a lot of courage and strength. But if Christians stand together in their faith and for Christ, it will be easier. So find friends who share your love of God and do things that glorify Him, such as Church activities and youth group. God is with you, ladies, and He knows your plight. Call to Him and He will guide and hold you strong! God bless you.
Adulterers! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.” (James 4:4)
Do you find it difficult living in the world without being of it? Share your story in the comments below–we so love hearing from you.