10 Scriptures to Read When You Feel Lonely
Written by Christi Given | October 19, 2015
Even the most social butterfly can feel alone at times. What do you do when you cannot fix the feeling of being lonely? Well, here are some scriptures to remind you of the truth—that God is always with us in the person of the Holy Spirit, and we never have to be afraid or anxious. Here are 10 Bible verses and points of truth to refer to when you feel alone.
1. God is always with you: “…The LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Deuteronomy 31:6)
2. Be strong and brave: “Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9)
3. Even Jesus felt alone at one point: “About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, ‘Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?’ [which means ‘My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?’]” (Matthew 27:46)
4. You have friends to sharpen you: God’s Word says that two believers encouraging each other is like iron sharpening iron. Pray for Godly friends and seek out the ones who are even more mature in their faith than you are. Call your friend to ask for advice or to pray when you feel this way (Proverbs 27:17).
5. Emotions can lie to us: Our flesh and body may fail us or our minds and emotions may lie to us, but God is always for us and is with us. Read Psalm 73. “My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” (Psalm 73:26)
6. Even when family leaves us, God never does: “Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me.” (Psalm 27:10)
7. God is our strength: When we need strength, we just need to call on the name of Jesus, and God will empower us through the Holy Spirit. “At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them.” (2 Timothy 4:16-17)
8. God’s Word says trials create perseverance: In the Word of God it says that when we go through hardship, it is making us stronger and is building character in us. “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” (James 1: 1-3)
9. When you feel lonely, reach out to someone and help them: We all go through hard times and can all go through times of doubt or hardship. A way to help each other and to cure loneliness is to reach out to others, as when we give, we refresh ourselves.
10. God doesn’t give us a spirit of despair, but joy: When we feel lonely, we need to step out in faith and in the fruits of the spirit (one being joy), and really believe God’s Word in that He gives us the anointing oil of joy instead of hopelessness and despair. The enemy of our soul wants us to fall into depression, anxiety and fear, but God’s Word infuses faith. Read the Bible when you need some hope, love, faith, joy and truth (Isaiah 61:3).
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)
PI Girls, what do YOU do when you feel lonely? Do you have a favorite scripture you go to? Comment below!