Ladies, we talk about “The One” so often here on Project Inspired. While cynics like to argue that there isn’t just one person out there who was reserved specifically for you, I’d like to remind you all that God’s plan is for our welfare and for hope (Jeremiah 29:11). God will also straighten our path (Proverbs 3:6), answer our prayers (John 15:7) and work for the good in all things for those who love him (Romans 8:28).
Of course, there is a condition that comes with these and so many other promises, and that is that we give ourselves fully to the Lord. If we do this, and live according to His Word, then He will provide. And this includes The One.
Now, knowing that God will provide us with The One, how are you to know when he comes along? Here are 10 signs you can look to for guidance.
Remember, though, this is not a one-size-fits-all list, since we’re all different. And there are some points that are more subjective. But when it comes to a Christian relationship that leads to marriage, there are certain criteria that need to be met in order to strengthen the relationship and ensure its longevity.
So, here goes:
- He listens to you. He wants to know you. He’s interested in what you like and don’t like. He wants to know your ambitions, hopes and dreams. Why? Because he wants to know if your dreams mesh with his. You’re not exactly the same, but when it comes to the important things, such as children and family and career, your dreams need to align.
- He respects you. He treats you with a respect that’s deserving of a child of God. It will be a traditional chivalry that will remind you of your value. He will love, honor and desire you with dignity.
- He sees your heart. It won’t be about the way you look, even if your eyes first caught his attention. He’ll see through the superficiality and recognize the you that counts, the you that God sees. This is because what’s in your heart resonates throughout your being. It determines how you will be as a wife, a mother, a friend and a child of God. And if you’re beautiful within, then you’re beautiful on the outside.
- He wants to please you. He wants to see you smile, so he’ll do what he can to please you. Maybe he’ll buy you meaningful gifts or he’ll do the things or go to the places that make you happy. Just be sure that it’s a true desire to please, not a short-term impulse to impress you.
- He brings the best out of you. You’ll like who you are when you’re with him because he makes you a better you, a kinder you, a loving you and a more patient you. In times of struggle, there are those who stress you out and those who calm you. He will do the latter, knowing how to make you smile when you’re feeling down and knowing how to instill peace in moments of chaos. It won’t always be perfect—you will still disagree now and then—but he’ll know how to create a calm before any real storm ensues.
- He shares your faith. Your faith is your life. You live according to it, so the man who’s the one for you will be the one who shares your faith and is devoted to it. He may even be more in love with Christ than you are, which would be an even better encouragement for you.
- He encourages you to put God first. He won’t be jealous because he knows that when you put God first, everything falls into place. He knows what God expects of each of you as individuals and you as a couple, and he will encourage you to place the Lord above all else.
- He encourages you to use your gifts and talents for the greater good. As Christians, we’re called to glorify God in everything that we do, and this is especially true when it comes to using our God-given talents and gifts. You’ll know he’s The One when he encourages you to use your talents for God.
- You feel at home with him. It just feels right. It’s not codependence, because you know you can live without him, but you just don’t want to.
- He will pursue you. When it feels right for you, and it feels right for him, he’ll pursue you. He’ll let you know that he wants to be with you.
Ladies, what do you think about this list? Share your thoughts in the comments below.