10 Signs You’re in a Healthy Relationship
Written by T.M. Gaouette | February 10, 2015
Ladies, relationships play a huge role in a person’s life. It may seem obvious to some of you, but there are many who separate their relationships from the rest of their lives.
Whether you’re with a guy you’re dating or engaged to, your relationship should come second to your relationship with Christ. But your guy has to have a prominent place in your heart and life—otherwise, why are you dating him? After all, he’ll likely be your husband, right? That’s why it’s important that the relationship you’re in is a healthy one.
Here are 10 signs that can help you determine whether you’re in a healthy relationship.
- You talk to each other. Communication is so important in a relationship. A healthy relationship is one in which both guy and girl can speak openly to each other, not just about the things that concern them, but also about their hopes and dreams.
- You listen to each other. This is more important than communication. And listening is more than hearing. It’s about taking note of what is being said to you. A healthy relationship is one in which both you and your guy take the time to listen and act accordingly.
- You don’t argue. This doesn’t mean that you don’t disagree. Everyone disagrees, but in a a healthy relationship, disagreements don’t end up in arguments or fights. And the reason why you don’t argue is because you agree about the important things.
- You say you’re sorry. Saying sorry is not an easy thing to do, but when you’re with the right person, it’s easy. You’d rather humble yourself with an apology than make your guy feel bad, and vice versa. And when you say sorry, you’re not made to feel guilty or burdened.
- You understand your roles in the relationship. A healthy relationship is formed by a guy and girl who each understand their roles in making the relationship work. This is more evident in marriage when a home and children come into the picture.
- You respect each other. To respect someone is to hold them in high regard, and in a healthy relationship, both the guy and the girl recognize the value of the other person, not only as an individual, but as a part of the relationship. You respect each other’s values, beliefs and opinions. And you respect each other’s desire to remain chaste until marriage.
- You love God more than each other. When you put God first, everything falls into place. When you love God, your desire is to emulate Christ, and in doing so, you both try to instill the Christian qualities within you that lead you to be more compassionate, loving and kind to each other.
- You strengthen each other’s walk with Christ. You both recognize that this is the core of every successful relationship. And you encourage each other to know, love and serve God more by loving and serving others together. So you attend church together, volunteer together and, most importantly, you pray and read scripture together.
- You share each other’s interests. You’re each other’s best friend, and like best friends, you love to do stuff together. When you have fun together, your relationship is stronger because you’re happy together.
- You see a future together. Because ultimately, this is the reason why you’re together, right? If you’re not already married, then your intention is to be so soon.
Ladies, are you in a healthy relationship?