Nothing says summer break like finishing a good book! If you’re looking for a great quality Christian book to settle down with, these 10 come highly recommended by a few of our PI Girls! We’ve included the descriptions from Amazon here so you’ll know what each book is about.
1. Uninvited: Living Loved When You Feel Less Than, Left Out, and Lonely by Lysa TerKeurst
In Uninvited, Lysa shares her own deeply personal experiences with rejection—from the incredibly painful childhood abandonment by her father to the perceived judgment of the perfectly toned woman one elliptical over.
With biblical depth, gut-honest vulnerability and refreshing wit, Lysa helps readers:
- Release the desire to fall apart or control the actions of others by embracing God-honoring ways to process their hurt.
- Know exactly what to pray for the next 10 days to steady their soul and restore their confidence.
- Overcome the two core fears that feed our insecurities by understanding the secret of belonging.
- Stop feeling left out and start believing that “set apart” does not mean “set aside.”
- End the cycle of perceived rejection by refusing to turn a small incident into a full-blown issue.
2. Without Rival: Embrace Your Identity and Purpose in an Age of Confusion and Comparison by Lisa Bevere
In Without Rival, bestselling author Lisa Bevere shares how a revelation of God’s love breaks these limits. You’ll learn how to stop seeing others as rivals and make the deep connections with your Creator you long for—connections that hold the promise of true identity and intimacy. With biblically sound teaching filled with prophetic insight for our day, Lisa uses humor and passion to challenge you to:
- Flip rivalry so it brings out the best in you.
- Stop hiding from conversations you need to be a part of.
- Answer the argument that says women are unfit, easily deceived and gullible.
- Dismantle gender rivalry and work with the men in your life.
3. The Armor of God by Priscilla Shirer
The Enemy always fails miserably when he meets a woman dressed for the occasion. The Armor of God, more than merely a biblical description of the believer’s inventory, is an action plan for putting it on and developing a personalized strategy to secure victory (seven sessions).
- Bible Study Book includes six weeks of homework that can be completed between seven group sessions
- Includes leader helps and perforated prayer cards that can be used to develop a prayer strategy
- Leader material (guides to questions and discussion with small group)
- Equip women to get serious, specific and strategic in their discipline of prayer
- Turn challenges and discouragement into opportunities for prayer
- Grow spiritually as you dig deeper into Scripture and expand your understanding of prayer
- Develop and implement practical, purposeful prayer strategies
- Appropriate for new or inexperienced Bible study students as well as those well-versed in Scriptures
- Leaders can be assured of a trusted teacher in every group
- Opportunity for multiple leaders or facilitators
4. Nothing to Prove: Why We Can Stop Trying So Hard by Jennie Allen
Jennie Allen understands the daily struggle so many of us face with the fear that we are not enough. And she invites us into a different experience, one in which our souls overflow with contentment and joy. In Nothing to Prove she calls us to…
- Find freedom from self-induced pressure by admitting we’re not enough—but Jesus is.
- Admit our greatest needs and watch them be filled by the only One who can meet them.
- Make it our goal to know and love Jesus, then watch what He does in and through us.
As you wade into the refreshing truth of the more-than-enough life Jesus offers, you’ll experience the joyous freedom that comes to those who are determined to discover what God can do through a soul completely in love with Him.
5. Love Does: Discover a Secretly Incredible Life in an Ordinary World by Bob Goff
When Love Does, life gets interesting. Each day turns into a hilarious, whimsical, meaningful chance that makes faith simple and real. Each chapter is a story that forms a book, a life. And this is one life you don’t want to miss.
Light and fun, unique and profound, the lessons drawn from Bob’s life and attitude just might inspire you to be secretly incredible, too.
6. Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman’s Soul by John and Stasi Eldredge
The message of Captivating is this: Your heart matters more than anything else in all creation. The desires you had as a little girl and the longings you still feel as a woman are telling you of the life God created you to live. He offers to come now as the Hero of your story, to rescue your heart and release you to live as a fully alive and feminine woman. A woman who is truly captivating.
7. Girl Defined: God’s Radical Design for Beauty, Femininity, and Identity by Kristen Clark and Bethany Baird
In a culture where airbrushed models and career-driven women define beauty and success, it’s no wonder we have a distorted view of femininity. Our impossible standards place an incredible burden of stress on the backs of women and girls of all ages, resulting in anxiety, eating disorders and depression. One question we often forget to ask is this: What is God’s design for womanhood?
In Girl Defined, sisters and popular bloggers Kristen Clark and Bethany Baird offer women a countercultural view of beauty, femininity and self-worth. Based firmly in God’s design for their lives, this book helps women rethink what true success and beauty look like. It invites them on a liberating journey toward a radically better vision for femininity that ends with the discovery of the kind of hope, purpose and fulfillment they’ve been yearning for.
Girl Defined helps readers:
- Discover God’s design for femininity and his definition of a successful woman.
- Uncover the secrets of lasting worth, purpose and fulfillment.
- Be equipped and empowered to live out a radically better vision for womanhood.
- Gain personal insight through the chapter-by-chapter study guide.
8. Boundaries in Dating: How Healthy Choices Grow Healthy Relationships by Henry Cloud and John Townsend
Between singleness and marriage lies the journey of dating. Want to make your road as smooth as possible? Set and maintain healthy boundaries—boundaries that will help you grow in freedom, honesty and self-control.
If many of your dating experiences have been difficult, Boundaries in Dating could revolutionize the way you handle relationships. Even if you’re doing well, the insights you’ll gain from this much-needed book can help you fine-tune or even completely readjust important areas of your dating life.
Written by the authors of the bestselling book Boundaries, Boundaries in Dating is your road map to the kind of enjoyable, rewarding dating that can take you from weekends alone to a lifetime with the soul mate you’ve longed for.
9. Life Through the Eye of the Lion: Facing Impossible Pain, Finding Incredible Power by Levi Lusko
More a manifesto for high-octane living than a manual for grieving, Through the Eyes of a Lion will help you turn your journey into a “roar story” by guiding you to:
- Look past what you can see with the naked eye.
- Survive Saturday—the space between promise and fulfillment.
- Let God turn your pain into a microphone.
- Cue the eagle and run toward the roar.
Whether you’re currently facing adversity or want to prepare yourself for inevitable hardship, it’s time to look at the adventure of your life through Jesus’ eyes—the eyes of a Lion.
10. Loving God with All Your Mind by Elizabeth George
Elizabeth lets women know that loving the Lord involves action! Focusing on six main scripture passages, Elizabeth helps readers understand what it means to truly:
- Let your mind think on what is true about God and about life.
- Grasp and move toward God’s purpose for life.
- Trust the Lord in all things.
Drawing on biblical wisdom as well as personal, Elizabeth helps women handle their emotions and discover inner peace that comes from focusing on what is true. She shares six powerful Bible truths that will help readers draw closer to God and know His joy and love.
Are there any other books you’d like to recommend? Be sure to share with us in the comments below!