Mission trips are part of the church’s vision and responsibility, but can be very expensive with flights and lodging costs. The church is known as the family of God and we are called to help and support one another in times of need. Of course, not everyone is called to go to Africa or China or a third-world country, but we are told to preach the Gospel to every tongue, tribe and nation (Revelation 14:6). We all have different strengths or gifts and we can contribute to the effort of the Kingdom, either being present by serving or by giving financially.
And then he told them, “Go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone.” (Mark 16:15)
There are many different ways now that people can raise funds for mission trips and ministries. There are online platforms where people can raise money for businesses through sites like Kickstarter; for fundraising goals, there is GoFundMe; and you can donate through PayPal. You can do bake sales, yard sales and missions letters. There are many ways to creatively raise funds to go on your trip and it is a journey or trust in God to reach your goal! Below is a list of 10 ideas.
10 Ways to Raise Funds for Missions Work
1. GoFundMe: Raise funds for your mission and upload a video explaining what your needs are and what the funds go toward. Click here.
2. Garage or Yard Sale: Have a yard sale and raise money to go on your trip. You can do a collective church sale after service, too! Ask your pastor or youth pastor to help set up a missions sale for the team.
3. Bake Sale: Do a cookie sale or general bake sale to help raise money and get other people involved in the missions process. What a delicious way to spread the love and to get people to jump on board!
4. PayPal Link: Create a PayPal button for your missions website or create a link to share with your church, family and friends.
5. Church Website: Many churches that are helping to release a missions team will post a “donate” section on the main church website. It’s good to get the entire body involved so that people feel invested and can be praying for the team. They, in a way, are a part of getting the Gospel around the world, which is an honor!
6. Write Letters to Family and Friends: Write a missions letter with photos to explain where you are going and what your need is. Besides donations, the team needs major prayers and support from the family of God. Not everyone can actually go on a missions trip, but people want to feel a part of something for a good cause.
7. Small Donations from Family: Some people may have one person who can donate the full amount of the financial need for a trip. But the experience and journey of raising funds for a mission is partially to involve many people in the trip and also to learn to trust God to meet the full amount. There are many testimonies on this happening, like my brother’s recent trip to Swaziland. Right before the trip, several people came together and God provided! So cool!
8. Share Your Story on Social Media: Provide the proper links and information to your friends on Facebook! This is a great way to make it easy for people to contribute and to learn about your church and the missions trip you are planning on taking.
9. Car Wash: Get the youth group together for a collective car wash in the church parking lot. Divide the proceeds among the mission trip-goers! Such a fun idea!
10. Host a Church Movie Night: Ask your pastor to project a film for youth night and charge a small amount for popcorn and drinks to raise awareness and funds for the team. This is a clever way to involve the church family and will create a special memory in the process!
PI Girls, do you have any ideas on how to raise funds or awareness for missions work? Comment below!