Now that 2014 is winding down, I’ve come up with a list of things I want to do in the new year. Here they are, counting down from 12 to 1.
12. Learn one new thing each day. I’ve got what some call an “OCD” problem. I tend to stick to what I know and see that through till I can’t handle it anymore, then drastically change things up. So, in 2015 I want to do ONE thing different each day to spice up this life I live.
11. Learn to love myself more. In order to fully grasp the love God has for us, we must love ourselves. I’m a 29-year-old male who has always been a bit too self-conscious. I want to learn that I am who God made me. I’m not perfect. I will never be perfect. And that is completely the way I want to be.
10. Be a better son, boyfriend, friend, roommate. I am not the most patient person. I tend to let little things get to me. I tend to stress over the small things and don’t bother with the big things. In 2015 I want to be the man God made me.
9. Learn to enjoy coffee without sugar and cream. Coffee is my love language. No, seriously. But, as most true coffee fanatics will scoff at, I put sugar and cream in it. I don’t appreciate the simple form of black coffee. In 2015 I am going to break up with the sugar and creamer.
8. See the world a tiny bit. I’m 29 and I’ve never left this content that is North America. I live in Los Angeles, close to one of the largest airports in the world. To this, I say, Iceland is calling. Dream big, dream small…just dream.
7. Get more involved. In 2014 I helped out a nonprofit a bit on Thursdays. In 2015 I want to make it my mission to find something I’m truly passionate about and get involved—full in.
6. Spend less time behind a screen and more time in front of a human being. I work on a computer for a living. I’m a writer and social media guru who often spends a bit too much time looking at the white screen. In 2015 I’m logging off on weekends and making it a point to be more intentional with relationships.
5. Use the microwave less. I’m busy, so the microwave has become my best friend. I’ll often throw frozen food into that little machine, click two minutes, then eat on the go. In 2015 I’m going to appreciate the God-given gift of good food. I’m going to cook more and take time to enjoy it.
4. Make someone smile daily. I can change the world daily. In a sea of negativity with news, we need more positivity. It’s said that the quickest way to turn someone’s day around is with a smile. I’m doing that more in 2015.
3. Understand my faith more. We can never ever fully grasp what God is. God is _____. In 2015 I want to have more conversations, more book clubs, more more more of our Creator.
2. Be more involved in my family’s lives. There isn’t much that’s more important than our families. Most of my family lives 2,000 miles from me. This year I’m going to be more involved through Facetime, letter writing, even dropping in unannounced (keep the snacks handy, Mom!).
1. To not understand everything, but enjoy the ride God has me on. In 2014 I spent so much time thinking about purpose. What is my purpose? What am I going to do? How am I going to do it? I simply fell off the track a bit and, in fact, felt even more confused. I think that we have to be careful to not get so involved with the giant “P” word—purpose—because we serve a God much bigger than that. Our God works in the most mysterious ways. He has a plan for us. Don’t get so wrapped up in the future and instead focus on the here and now. God placed you in this moment for a reason. Figure out what this moment means before you worry about and plan for tomorrow.
Girls, what do YOU want to do in 2015?