We all get into our busy schedules and lives of going from one activity to the next, but we really need to pause (Selah), and learn to have a Sabbath to honor and worship God (Exodus 20:8). God commanded us to rest and to cease from work so that we can not only trust God, but also give God one of our days.
12 Tips for More Meaningful Quiet Times With God
1. Remove all distractions: It is important to pray alone and to close the door and have private, quiet time sometimes.
But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. (Matthew 6:6)
2. Go where you can focus on God: Maybe you connect with God on your regular walks, by the beach or in your room. Do you have a prayer closet like the film War Room, or maybe your car is your sanctuary? Wherever it is, just remember to take time alone with God.
3. When you have time with God, you will be refreshed: In the presence of God, we are refilled, refueled, refreshed and renewed (Acts 3:19-20).
…he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. (Psalm 23:3)
4. Find a supplement or study guide to dig deeper: Currently, I am reading Girls With Swords by Lisa Bevere and doing the study guide to go along with it. Buy the book here. I read the Word as my main-course spiritual meal and all devotions, and Christian books are like the additional vitamins and supplements. Never replace God’s Word with a book, even if it is Christian. It is helpful to have study guides that do expand on it, or even a study Bible. (I recommend reading the amplified version of the Bible for those who are thirsting for more of an explanation.)
5. Spend time with God like you would with your close friend: Healthy relationships are built upon spending time together. If you never open your Bible or pray, how can you be close to the Lord? We need to make a concerted effort to be with the Lord, and quiet time is one of those times outside of church.
6. Listen to worship music: Listen to some worship music quietly while you pray, or you can sing and read the Word. The Bible says that the way to ENTER into God’s Holy presence is with thanksgiving, praise and worship. Realize and remember it is an HONOR to be in the King’s presence. Jesus tore the veil of the temple, where the Holy of Holies was, so we can have fellowship with our Father! Let us rejoice and thank our Abba Father!
Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, And into His courts with praise. (Psalm 100:8)
At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. They came out of the tombs after Jesus’ resurrection and went into the holy city and appeared to many people. When the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened, they were terrified, and exclaimed, “Surely he was the Son of God!” (Matthew 27:51-54)
7. Write down a list of what you are thankful for: Writing down thanksgiving, praise and praise reports helps you to remember God’s faithfulness. In the Bible, there were even stones of remembrance so the people of God wouldn’t forget what God had done (Joshua 4).
8. Write down what you are believing God for: It is okay to come to God with your requests, but let’s not make this a Santa’s wish list or a have a genie-in-a-bottle mentality. We want to give this time to the Lord as an act of praise and we want to honor our King. You can believe and ask God for what you need, but remember to surrender yourself to God’s perfect will. God’s ways are higher, greater and better, so trust in Him. HIS way is perfect (Isaiah 55).
9. Listen to Christian radio or a podcast sermon, or watch a sermon online: There are many resources nowadays to listen to amazing pastors online. There is 99.5 FM KKLA for those in Southern California, and there is KWVE (The Wave of Living Water) on 107.9 FM and other stations. Just make sure whoever you are listening to preaches sound doctrine from God’s Holy Word in the Bible. Go to itbn.org to see an archive of many sermons and messages to uplift, equip, teach and edify your spirit and your walk with Christ. I also like the radio program The Bible Information Brokers.
10. Focus on God, BE still and listen to God’s voice: Many times we just go, go, go and we don’t know how to just be still and listen. Sometimes God wants us to not say anything but to relax in Him.
He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” (Psalm 46:10)
11. Call a prayer warrior: Praying with a friend on the phone really can help you in your time with God because you are both agreeing in the spiritual realm. God says that if two people come together and ask ANYTHING, God is there in the midst….
And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God… (Ephesians 6:17-19)
12. Read the Bible out loud: Many times when we read our Bible devotion or apps or even in general, we tend to read silently to ourselves. When we speak God’s Word out loud, there is power and it is like a mighty sword that can change the atmosphere. Try to read or quote some verses, and then apply them when you feel weary, broken, attacked or even discouraged. It seriously is so powerful! God’s Word is like a double-edged sword, it says in the Bible, and is the sword of the Spirit!
For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12)
PI Girls, do you have any other ways you spend quality time with God? Comment below!