I was a complete mess as a teenager! Looking back, I have learned and grown so much, but I would like to share this so that others may learn from my example. Here’s what I wish I could tell my 16-year-old self.
- As much as school sucks, actually take it seriously. The more educated you are before you graduate high school, the better the chances of you actually going to and making it through college.
- The mean girls eventually grow up, and some may even become your friends.
- Don’t obsess over calories! Enjoy your good metabolism while it lasts. Something about turning 20 kills it.
- Be confident in whatever you do. Confidence is the key to taking on any challenge, big or small.
- Don’t try to show as much skin as possible. Seriously, I feel more beautiful in longer skirts now than anything that shows too much leg.
- Boys should be the last thing on your list of priorities. You aren’t emotionally mature enough for a relationship and you are far too young for marriage, so what’s the point?
- Your virginity is soooo special. Hang on to it and only give it to your husband. Life gets complicated fast the second you become sexually active.
- Save money! Seriously, I spent so much money on nonessential stuff. I could have paid for my college in cash or bought a really nice car.
- When you turn 18, you will start getting stuff about credit cards. Don’t get one until you are making substantially more than minimum wage.
- You are awesome, even when you don’t think you are.
- Don’t get too attached to your friends in high school. Most of them won’t be in your life in a few years anyway.
- Play with your hair, do your makeup, have fun with yourself, but don’t try to reinvent the beauty that God already naturally gave you.
- Don’t take what others say to heart. You will be shocked where they end up in a few years.
- Don’t drink or smoke. Life is so much better sober, I promise.
- Find a passion and stick to it! Drive and determination are essential in the workforce.
- Love God with all you have. There will come a point in your life where no one can help you but Him. You are not facing this world alone as long as you have him in your heart.
Ladies, what would YOU wish you could tell your younger self?