Back to School
20 Things to Do While in College
Written by Dave Herrmann | August 19, 2014
College is a unique time in which you’re figuring out who you are—and who you want to become. As many of you are heading to college this fall, we wanted to give you a fun little checklist of things to do while you’re there!
1. Take classes outside of your major that you’re interested in. Love drawing? Take a class on it as an elective. It will help you learn fun new skills that you could use later in life.
2. Take an accounting or finance class! Ladies, I can’t stress this one enough. In life, especially when it comes to being an adult, we must begin to understand and balance our finances. Take a basic accounting or finance class and learn exactly how to create a budget; your 35-year-old self will thank you.
3. Create community in your dorm! One thing I really loved was having a TV show that my entire floor watched together. It helped build lifelong friendships. You live together, so you might as well be friends, too!
4. Travel! College affords so many different ways to see the world. If your major has opportunities to study in Europe, take them!
5. Go to the sporting events. There is nothing like a college football or basketball game against your archrival. Go, experience this!
6. Learn more about your faith. College is a fantastic time to really dive deeper into your faith. Join on-campus clubs with like-minded Christians and begin to see how Christ can transform you.
7. Get out of your comfort zone. As humans, we all have a comfort zone; in college, get out of it. What does that look like? Maybe it’s saying yes to something you normally would say no to. Maybe it’s going on a date. Maybe it’s trying a different food. Whatever it is, getting out of your comfort zone will help stretch you. Be safe, of course.
8. Develop healthy habits. In college, your schedule becomes more insane, more random. Don’t let it derail you physically. Create healthy habits like working out, eating right and, most importantly, sleeping right. Your body post-college will thank you.
9. Internships, internships, internships! We’ve talked about this before, but we’ll say it again. Internships help you learn about your desired profession and help you figure out if it’s something you truly want to do.
10. Minor in something useful. So you’re majoring in business? Why not minor in a foreign language? Don’t waste your time and money on something you won’t use in life—minor in something that will have lifelong benefits.
11. Don’t skip classes. Know this: You’re only hurting yourself if you miss classes. Go, learn!
12. Take time for yourself. You’re constantly surrounded by roommates, classmates, etc. Find a place where you can be alone and have quiet time. It will help ground you.
13. Use the library! It’s there for you, open a book…a REAL book! It will expand your mind.
14. Learn something about another culture. In college, there are so many different cultures merging into one small place. Make friends and embrace their cultures!
15. Join an intramural sport. A fun way to stay fit is to join a sport you’ve never played before like lacrosse or Ultimate Frisbee.
16. Go to the on-campus plays and open-mic nights. Get cultured, then try some type of art yourself!
17. Attend someone’s senior recital. Free classical music from the best? Yes, please!
18. Start a club on something you’re passionate about! The theology of C. S. Lewis? The Doctor Who Lovers Club? Do it, embrace it!
19. Give back. College is full of so many opportunities to give back to your community. Find time each month for acts of service. It will bring happiness to you and others.
20. Love it! College is truly a magical time in your life. You’re becoming an adult, and this is the last time you can get away with still being a kid.