When I first started wearing makeup, I stuck to one lipstick shade: burgundy. It was safe. It worked well with my skin tone. And most importantly, it protected me from having to sort through hundreds of lipstick shades to find the perfect one.
It took me a couple of years to really start playing around with different lipstick shades. Red? Bring it on! Black? A little scary, but sure, let’s do it!
I wrote this article to help you take some of the guesswork out of the lipstick selection process. These five amazing lipstick shades are great for anyone looking to explore new and exciting colors. The best part about them is that they work well on any skin tone.
1. Ravishing Red. Your lipstick stash would be incomplete without a red lipstick. This shade can be worn alone for a bright and vibrant look or paired with a dark liner for a more subtle look.
2. Nice and Nude. If you’re not ready to dive into bold colors just yet, then nude is the lipstick shade for you! It’s subtle and provides a hint of color to your lips for the perfect daytime look. The trick to wearing a nude lipstick is to pair it with a dark liner and blend the two shades together.
3. Beautiful Burgundy. Similar to red, burgundy is one of those colors that looks great on everyone. You can go bold with a darker shade or keep it subtle with a light burgundy lip gloss.
4. Boldly Black. The color black can seem a little scary, but if you’re looking for something a bit bolder, this is the color for you! The key to pulling off the black lipstick is to keep the rest of your makeup as neutral and subtle as possible.
5. Oh My, Ombré. If you’re ready to take your lipstick game to the next level, try an ombré look. To do this, simply grab two lipstick shades that work well together (e.g., red and burgundy). Apply the darkest of the two shades to the outside of your lips and the lighter color to the inner portion of your lips. Lightly blend them together and voilà!
These are five of my current favorite lipstick shades!
See anything you’d love to try? Let us know in the comments below!