5 Effective Ways to Relieve Stress
Written by T.M. Gaouette | January 27, 2015
Ladies, have you ever gotten so worked up and stressed out, you thought you’d explode? For some of you, this may seem a little exaggerated, but for others, I’m certain I’m spot-on with my description. I know that I’ve felt that way at times. And when I’m consumed with anxiety, the sooner I calm myself, the better. Because, as you know, when stress and anxiety grow, they can only lead to additional negative feelings, such as anger, frustration and depression. This is why it’s so important to find effective ways to ease the anxiety and find calm again.
If you’re looking to get rid of anxiety, try these five tips:
- Just breathe the stress out. Sure, this may seem a little obvious, right? But is it? The best way to breathe away your stress is to immerse yourself in God’s creation and breathe. So, if at all possible, go outside into nature, someplace quiet where you can’t be bothered, and breathe deeply, into your nose and out of your mouth. Close your eyes and lift your head to the sky, and just breathe in and out. Breathing in this way not only calms the nerves and relieves the stress, but also benefits the heart and brain.
- Get physical with your anxiety. Whether it’s a workout at the gym, kickboxing or a martial arts class, vigorous exercise can really help get rid of stress. In contrast, a calming yoga session is also great. If the idea of exercising only adds to your stress, then try taking a fun dance class or just putting on tunes from your favorite rock band and dancing alone in your room. Seriously! It works!
- Draw or write your stress away. If you’re a writer or an artist, using these avenues to relieve stress can prove beneficial. I’ve often resorted to writing when I’m feeling overwhelmed and it’s really taken the edge off. In fact, it’s been really motivational because I’ve been able to transfer the negative emotions from myself to the page and into another character who needs them. You can do the same with painting or drawing.
- Find serenity in the Good Book. God speaks to you in many ways. And often times He shares His calming words in scripture or a devotional. So always take the time to read your Bible.
- Pray your way to peace. “Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God” (Philippians 4:6). Prayer is a fundamental part of relieving stress, and it should be incorporated in conjunction with any of your choice ways to calm anxiety.
Ladies, stress happens to all of us, but it’s how we cope with it that makes all the difference. We can allow it to break us down or we can control it, pushing it out of our lives and leaving room only for the peace of Christ. Find the method that leads you to peace and remember that God should always be part of that answer.
Ladies, how do you relieve stress? Share your secret below—we so love to hear from you!