5 Friends Every Girl Should Have
Written by Rebecca Claire | December 18, 2015
Squad. Tribe. Clique. We have a lot of crazy names for our group of friends, because—let’s face it—friendships are pretty much the greatest thing ever and they deserve equally impressive titles.
Our desire for friendship highlights our God-given hunger for community and companionship. God also created us all to be uniquely part of His image, which means that each relationship we form is an opportunity to see a new piece of God’s creativity.
There are a lot of wonderful characteristics that make a great friend, but these are five types of friends I think every girl should have:
- The One Who Calls It Like It Is: She’s great at giving advice, because you know she will never lie. She can help you through a crisis because she’s an expert at seeing all sides of the situation and giving you her levelheaded perspective. Here’s the great part: She keeps you accountable. Whether it’s going to the gym, reading your Bible more or getting over that crush, she’s the one who will lovingly remind you that you can do it.
- The Boss: She’s the one who has her act together—and it’s pretty inspirational. She’s involved in everything, and through her you get exposure to a whole new world. She’s great at meeting new people, and she’s always ready to have an adventure. Because of her friendship, you are continually inspired to shoot for the stars and follow your dreams.
- The Thoughtful One: She always remembers your birthday. She brings you soup when you’re sick—and if she doesn’t live near you, she’ll find a way to send you some. Chances are you both have a pretty deep history with each other. She knows you better than you know yourself, and that’s how she keeps you grounded when you start having an existential crisis. You never have to worry about waking her up at 4 a.m. for an emergency call; she’s always willing to help.
- Ms. Opposite: Maybe she comes from a different background then you do. Maybe she’s an extrovert and you’re an introvert. Either way, she challenges you to see the world differently than you tend to see it on your own. You might be totally different ages, from totally opposite ends of the socioeconomic spectrum, or a completely different ethnicity; she’s the one who reminds you that life is a lot more fun when you add a little variety to the mix. She has wisdom in areas you don’t, and that makes your friendship enlightening.
- The Deep One: She likes to have fun, but she also loves to have long conversations about things that matter. All those times you had questions about your faith, she was there to talk you through it. Need some artistic or creative inspiration in your life? She’s your girl. She’s also crazy smart, and you practically feel like you are earning your PhD just listening to her speak. She’s the one who’s too smart to care what anyone else thinks of her, and she’s totally happy marching to the beat of her own drummer—which she challenges you to do as well.
What would you add to the list?