Music & Culture
5 Hallmark Christmas Movies to Catch on Netflix
Written by Phylicia Masonheimer | December 20, 2017
I don’t know about you, but the day after Thanksgiving I am on the sofa, remote in hand, ready for Hallmark Christmas movies and hot chocolate! There is something about the predictable storyline and cheesy romantic drama that makes me laugh every time. But even while I’m laughing, I’m enjoying the comfort of all things Christmas as it plays on the screen.
My personal favorite Hallmark movie is The Christmas Card, which I first saw in college thanks to my roommate. We watched it no less than eight times that first year, and I’ve watched it every Christmas since. It’s mandatory viewing for my husband, who has the script memorized, albeit against his will!
Unfortunately, The Christmas Card is no longer on Netflix, but the following five movies are still there. These are some of my favorites, both this year and last! If you’re looking for a fun Christmas girls’ night or a date (if your boyfriend is willing!), fire up one of these films.
- The Christmas Kiss I: There are TWO Christmas Kiss movies, and it was hard to decide between them. Both movies involve a kiss in an elevator and a workplace romance. Of course, the relationship starts out with disagreement, quickly moves to reconciliation and love is on the way by the 45-minute mark. But we don’t watch Hallmark movies for realism! This is a super cute movie with plenty of romantic drama.
- Christmas in the Smokies: This one may not actually be produced by Hallmark, as it is distinctly Christian in its script (and casts Christian actor Alan Powell, originally of the band Anthem Lights). For those who love the country and/or country music, this is a perfect choice. A berry farm is threatened with foreclosure as a local businessman begins plans for a large tourist attraction near their land. It’s up to the farmer’s daughter and her ex-boyfriend—a rising country star—to save the farm from its demise. This one is actually fairly believable and very sweet!
- Evergreen Christmas: Another farm-based movie, this one centers on the daughter of a Christmas tree farmer who passes away unexpectedly. She’s forced to leave her job in the city to help run the farm, only to discover that the farm is struggling financially. Worse yet, the Christmas tree crop is threatened by a swarm of gypsy moths, which would destroy any hope of financial recovery. A cute movie for date night!
- Christmas Belle: Loosely based on Beauty and the Beast, this story revolves around Belle, who works for her father’s estate agency. She goes to a customer’s home to catalog his library, learning all about the owner in the process (a dark, handsome, grumpy guy prone to walking around without a shirt). This is similar enough to Beauty and the Beast to be interesting, but it’s not a direct copy, which makes it fun to watch.
- 12 Dates of Christmas: This one is up there with The Christmas Card for me. A young woman lives the same day over and over again for 12 days until she finally learns to face love without fear. The character development is great in this movie, and there is enough non-awkward humor to enjoy with your boyfriend! This is a city-based Hallmark movie and the ending is super sweet.
Do you have a favorite Hallmark Christmas movie? Let us know in the comments or on Facebook!