Ladies, the Bible is an amazing read, isn’t it? It’s full of dynamic characters, incredible stories and memorable quotes. More than that, it tells us about Christ, His expectations of us and the way to salvation.
Yes, the Bible is so amazing that it’s the best-selling book…of all time! But while many Christians refer to the Bible for answers to specific questions or to feel inspired, how many read it as a complete guide for life?
I’ve heard it said that the Bible is an ancient document that’s dated. That it relates only to issues of the past, not of today’s world. But the truth is that God’s Word is not only consistent and constant, it doesn’t get old. God’s Word is His Word. It doesn’t change. The Bible tells us exactly how to live our lives, and until God directs a revised version, we should take it as it is!
What lessons does the Bible teach us about life? Well, here are five important ones that you should heed daily!
- Glorify God – “So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.” (1 Corinthians 10:31) We hear this all the time, right? Glorify God in everything that you do. It’s mentioned numerous times in scripture, but what does it mean? It means that no matter what you say or do, you do it in a way that reveal’s God’s glory.
- Pray – “And we have this confidence in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us in regard to whatever we ask, we know that what we have asked Him for is ours.” (1 John 5:14-15) Scripture doesn’t just tell us to pray, it tells us how to pray, how powerful prayer is and how your prayers will come to be.
- Give Thanks – “In all circumstances give thanks, for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus.” (1 Thessalonians 5:18) This is not easy when everything seems to be going badly. But no matter what the circumstance, Christians should always give thanks. Even in times of pain, suffering and loss, we are called to focus on our blessings.
- Be Cautious – “Test everything; retain what is good. Refrain from every kind of evil.” (1 Thessalonians 5:21-22) Be cautious and question -“test”- everything. This is where discernment comes in. What’s discernment? It’s when we judge well. In order to recognize the difference between good and bad, we have to make a judgement.
- Don’t Conform – “Do not conform yourselves to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect.” (Romans 12:2) Here’s a tough one, especially when we’re surrounded by the world, right? We can’t live under a rock! But we can determine what is of the world. When we are tempted by the ways of the world and conform to it, we can get lost in it. And when we get lost and distracted, we lose sight of Christ.
The Bible is literally your map, your guide book, and it’ll set you back on track when you get lost. Everything you do should be according to scripture. Your relationships, good work, activities, schooling, work ethic and later, your marriage and parenting skills, should all be reflective of Christ’s teaching. Nothing and no one should be placed above Him.
Ladies, the five lessons listed above are just a few of those in the Bible. In order to understand them fully, you need to read the Bible as a whole and then read it daily, as well as refer to it whenever you need an answer!
Ladies, how much of the Bible have you read? How often do you read it? Do you live your life according to God’s Word?