Beauty & Fashion
5 Modest Swimwear Ideas and Advice From Girl Defined
Written by Christi Given | June 9, 2017
Summer is just around the corner, and being modest is not the easiest thing to do when it’s bikini season. If you’re looking for swimsuits that are somewhat modest, I would suggest checking out ModCloth or just buying a tankini or one-piece suit from your local swimsuit shop or department store.
Here is some advice on fashion and modesty from sisters Bethany Baird and Kristen Clark, who started the Girl Defined ministries and a modesty movement, which we just love here at Project Inspired. If you’ve been on the PI site long enough, you may have heard the phrase “modest is hottest.” Let’s set some trends that are representing fashion and faith. We can walk with integrity and purity and still be glamorous, amen?
Check out the Girl Defined book trailer here.
Order the Girl Defined book and get a free chapter download here.
Check out some cute ideas from Girl Defined on YouTube here.
Tips for Dressing Modestly and Why It’s Important
1. Swimsuits (Choose a Tankini or One-Piece): If you are modest in the school year, then in summer you should be, too! We should be mindful of others around us, because how we live reflects what we believe. We don’t need to be legalistic by any means, and I don’t look down on others who wear two-pieces, but if we really want to be an ambassador for Christ and a woman of integrity, we should care how we come off to those around us. Our actions don’t save us, but being mindful of others is selfless and also shows our heart posture toward our obedience to the Lord. If you only have two-pieces, maybe consider a wrap or just be conscious of how you are dressed around men. Modcloth.com, Target or your local department stores should have cute, feminine one-pieces. I prefer the vintage one-piece suits because they are so cute! ModCloth has the best!
2. Being Modest Requires Sacrifice: It is not easy being modest, and of course we could swim with the other fish easily downstream and wear what our culture says, but God calls us to live above reproach and to not stumble our brothers in Christ. Do you think that loving people around you by being conscious of your wardrobe is important?
Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. (Romans 12:1)
3. Be Creative: You can get together with girlfriends and make it a project to shop modestly or to come up with fashion ideas. There are ways to cover up while still looking pretty and in style.
4. Be Selfless in Your Dressing: Think of the message you are sending when coming up with your wardrobe for the day. Think of the verse that says, “Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes.” (1 Peter 3:3)
5. Be Unique and a Leader: We can be set apart and still beautiful, but sometimes it is not easy feeling different or setting new trends. I encourage you to be a leader and to stand up for holiness in this day and age. Yes, it is rare, but I am sure you will have others noticing your stand for purity and modesty.
Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself… (1 Corinthians 6:19)
For more modest hacks and ideas from the Girl Defined ministry, be sure to watch their YouTube video, and subscribe here.
PI Girls, do you try to live modestly or do you just follow the current cultural trends?