Fall is a great time to try new things, and what could be better than figuring out new ways to get close to God? Consider these five ways for adding something different to your time with Him.
1. Worship God by taking it outside. Fall weather is so beautiful, and sometimes just getting outside and spending some time noticing the gorgeous colors in nature can make you appreciate how magnificent the Creator is. Listen to the crunch of the leaves. Look at the clear skies, listen to the song of the wind and smell the crisp air. Thank God for His incredible imagination in creating everything you see.
The heavens proclaim the glory of God. The skies display his craftsmanship. (Psalm 19:1, New Living Translation)
2. Worship by learning something you didn’t know about your faith. You spend time at school learning science, math and English. Why not make an extra effort to learn something new about your faith? Going deeper in your understanding of God and your faith is also worship. Take a class at church or pick up a study Bible or commentary and dig a little deeper into your Bible reading. Well-known Christian authors Beth Moore, Kay Arthur and Margaret Feinberg have some great Bible studies that will strengthen your walk with the Lord.
Let the wise hear and increase in learning, and the one who understands obtain guidance. (Proverbs 1:5, English Standard Version)
3. Worship by spicing up your prayer life. Add new elements to the way you pray. Light candles, turn on some music or go somewhere new. If you usually pray on your bed, get on your knees by the side of it. Sit silently or repeat phrases of praise. Ask friends to pray with you. Pray for each other’s concerns. Start a prayer journal with pictures of those you are praying for. Write down your prayers and when you get answers, update your journal.
The Lord is close to everyone who prays to him, to all who truly pray to him. (Psalm 145:18, New Century Version)
4. Worship by dancing, lifting your hands or singing out loud. It may feel funny to dance around your room or raise your hands at church, but moving our bodies can be an act of worship. Lifting your hands and face to heaven shows that you are giving all of yourself to God. Dancing, clapping and waving your arms can feel uncomfortable at first, but it’s very freeing when you get used to it. Think about how cute it is to watch a little kid dance without embarrassment. Well, you’re God’s kid and He loves to see you dance for Him!
Let them praise his name with dancing and make music to him with timbrel and harp. (Psalm 149:3, New International Version)
5. Worship God through the arts. Draw, sculpt, act or sing for His glory. God is the supreme creative being. He gave you skills and talents to honor Him. So see what you can make for Him out of clay, colored pencils, acrylic paints or even glue sticks. Get out of your comfort zone and step onto a stage with your voice, your poetry, your guitar or your acting skills. Worship Him with your imagination and creativity.
So I went down to the potter’s house, and there he was working at his wheel. (Jeremiah 18:3, Revised Standard Version)
Worshipping God in new ways can help you get closer to Him. What new ways have you found to worship Him? Share them with us!