Ladies, would you agree that sometimes it can be difficult being a Christian? It’s certainly a joy and a pleasure to be a Christian, but it’s far from easy.
Why? Well, here are just some reasons:
- We have to behave morally in an immoral world. And let’s face it—the world is in really bad shape right now. I was recently reminded of St. Augustine of Hippo’s words: “Wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it. Right is right, even if no one is doing it.” Sometimes I feel like the world has gone crazy, don’t you? It’s getting harder and harder to be a Christian in a world that encourages, promotes and applauds immoral behavior. And for a Christian who’s called to evangelize or to glorify God in such a world, it can be difficult to stand your ground.
- Some non-Christians love to question our faith. Maybe they’re questioning our knowledge of our own faith, or maybe they want to feel justified as non-Christians. Or maybe they really are interested in learning more about being a Christian. But regardless of the intention, it just feels as if we constantly have to defend our beliefs.
- Sometimes non-Christians will mock our devotion. Or we’re made to feel ridiculous. Recognize any of the following? “Everybody’s doing it—you need to just chill out.” “How foolish you are to believe in a book written 2,000 years ago by random guys.” “Hey, if you really want to follow the commandments, how come you still eat shellfish?” Many non-Christians—and many Christians, I might add—are unfamiliar with scripture, and so they throw it back at us, as if interpreting it the wrong way will justify their actions.
- We don’t always feel the benefits of being a Christian. Right? When we’re dealing with the aggravation of the world conflicting and confusing and contradicting our faith, we wonder when things will be made right. And it can be discouraging when those who aren’t following God’s Word or glorifying Him in their words and deeds seem happier and more successful than we are. We have God, right? What’s that all about?
- It can feel like we’re missing out on all the fun. Ugh! Sometimes it does, you know? When friends tell their stories about all the fun things that happened at that party the other night, or share their secrets about intimate moments with their boyfriends, it can make us feel like we’re missing out, right?
But are we missing out? No, of course not. We have something amazing to look forward to. But in the meantime, there will be sacrifices. And we will feel their impact more in a world where temptation is everywhere. Satan uses these things to entice us. He wants us to feel like we’re missing out or that we’ve got it all wrong.
Ladies, scripture reminds us about persecution, and living in the world and knowing right from wrong. Don’t be discouraged. Keep your eye on the prize that is your Lord God, and keep Him close daily through prayer and praise, and you will find it easier being a Christian in this world.
Ladies, do you find it difficult being a Christian? Share your story. We love to hear from you!
Contact me via social media for any questions, advice, prayer or just to say hello: