Ladies, has this ever happened to you? You have a crush on the sweet guy in one of your classes…and it turns out he likes you, too! You two officially start dating, but after a few weeks, reality sets in. Something about the relationship doesn’t feel quite right, but you just can’t put your finger on it, and you start wondering if your relationship is really going anywhere.
Does this sound familiar to you? No relationship is perfect, but the goal of dating should be to find The One, right? If your relationship isn’t going anywhere, can you recognize the signs?
Your relationship may not be going anywhere if:
- He doesn’t share your devotion to God. As a Christian, your ultimate desire should be to glorify God, but what if your boyfriend doesn’t share that desire? What if you feel like you’re constantly pushing him to go to church or youth group or to glorify God in his actions and deeds? If your boyfriend doesn’t share your devotion, then it will be really difficult to pursue your own relationship with God. You really need someone who can share that love for Christ in order to strengthen your walk with Him.
- It’s distracting you too much. Your boyfriend is, of course, going to have a prominent place in your life. But if you find you’ve been spending less time with your girlfriends, family, schoolwork and, most importantly, God in order to spend time with him, it’s a sign that your boyfriend may be distracting you from the meaningful people and activities in your life.
- You feel stressed out all the time. Relationships are a lot of work…but maybe you’re finding that your relationship with your boyfriend is just too much stress! Maybe you’re constantly emotional and upset. Maybe you argue all the time. Sure, no relationship is perfect, but when you argue more than you are happy and you feel anxiety about your relationship, then something’s definitely wrong.
- There’s just no communication. Communication is very important in any relationship. But if you and your boyfriend have a hard time communicating or being honest about your feelings, that’s a sign of trouble. Maybe he doesn’t seem concerned about your feelings or he refuses to discuss the future of your relationship. If you can’t talk, how can you know someone?
- You’re pushing boundaries you swore you never would. Temptation is something everyone struggles with. But if you’re finding that you’re getting closer and closer to a line you thought you’d never cross, it might be time for you to step back and re-evaluate your relationship.
If you find that most of the above are true for you and your relationship, it might be time to end it. Here’s how to do so gracefully.
Ladies, what do you think about the above list? Share your story…we love to hear from you!