5 Simple and Everyday Ways You Can Have an Impact for Christ by PI Girl Jessica
Written by Jessica Anne | November 9, 2014
Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity. (1 Timothy 4:12)
If you’re like me, you’ve grown up thinking and dreaming of what kind of a difference you can make in the world once you’re old enough. Maybe some of those dreams sound similar to mine: bring someone to Christ, get married and start a family, help end hunger and poverty, and help orphans. Or perhaps your dreams sound totally different from mine, and that’s okay. I just want you to know one thing: You don’t have to wait until you’re “old enough” to make a difference.
Take a minute to read the verse at the top of the page, then read it again slowly. I want you to catch something that is very easy to miss, and I missed it for years. Timothy isn’t just suggesting that it is possible for us as teens and young adults to have an impact on others; he’s telling us to be an example for others. He’s saying that we have a responsibility to show others about Christ not just with words, but with how we act, how we love unconditionally, what we believe and how we stay pure.
With this in mind, what can we do on a daily basis that will impact others for Christ? Here are five things that are relatively simple yet have a huge influence.
1. Smile. This may sound kind of strange, but a smile can totally change someone’s day! Whether you’re out shopping or walking through the hall at school, just giving someone a friendly smile and a hello can make a huge difference.
2. Encourage others around you. Compliment a girl at school on her outfit, write an encouraging note to someone who needs it or invite someone who doesn’t seem to have many friends to sit with you at lunch. There are so many great ways to encourage others!
3. Shop from stores with a cause. With Christmas right around the corner, shopping with a cause is so much fun! There are lots of stores online that donate part of their proceeds to charities. Some great websites are rootedinloveboutique.org, sevenly.org, amazimastore.org, banded2gether.com and smile.amazon.com.
4. Write letters to a soldier. Our American soldiers are willing to give everything for our freedom, but life on the other side of the world, away from their families, is hard. Through adoptaussoldier.org, we have the chance to write a letter to a soldier or “adopt” a soldier to send mail and packages to throughout their deployment. How awesome is that?
5. Sponsor a child. Compassion.com and worldvision.org, as well as other organizations, give the opportunity to sponsor a child on the other side of the world. This may not be for everybody, as a monthly donation is requested, but it’s such a joy to know that you’re helping a child get an education and have enough food to eat. Best of all, they are introduced to the Gospel of Jesus Christ!
Do you have anything to add to this list? No matter how old you are, you can make a difference!