Beauty & Fashion
5 Steps to Get Over Your Beauty Envy
Written by Julie Partin | May 29, 2015
What’s the key to getting over your envy of other people’s beauty? It’s all about embracing the natural beauty that God gave you. Stop obsessing over what others have that you don’t, and start focusing on your most beautiful and unique traits. Inner beauty and confidence are what really matter, but it’s also important to love and value your physical self. Here are a few ways to go from jealous to confident!
1. Find some style heroes. If you’re tall, find some gorgeous women who know how to rock height (like @NicoleWeider, of course!). If you have serious curves, follow glamourous and modest plus-size fashionista @theMarcyMinute. Finding girls who have learned to love the look they were born with will help you find inspiration and tips to love your beauty type. It’s not just about body types, either. You can have style heroes for height, skin tone, hair type and fashion style as well!
2. Spend your time on websites and magazines that value individual beauty. High-fashion magazines will show you tons of images of the same-size women who have been Photoshopped until they are unrecognizable. Focus instead on some amazing resources for girls and women that promote inner beauty! Some of our favorites:
- Darling magazine: Their mission is “to redefine femininity and beauty through thought-provoking and countercultural perspectives. Our goal is to inspire, revive and restore women by helping them find their true purpose and worth. Plus, none of the images in there magazines are EVER retouched!”
- RAW Beauty Talks: “Strives to help women everywhere find confidence in their unique beauty by advocating for transparency in media and providing a platform for honest, authentic conversation. We want every woman to feel comfortable in her own skin so that she can take on the world and live life to the fullest.”
3. Discover what makes you feel physically confident. Maybe it’s a brand of clothes or a personal style that gives you a pep in your step. If high heels, bangs and/or statement jewelry pieces make you feel like a million bucks—go for it! My secret weapon has always been lipstick. Once I apply a bright color of my favorite brand (Sephora), I feel like I can conquer the world. Your personal fashion and beauty style will be unique to you. Check out some different genres in “Finding Your Signature Style.”
4. Invest in products that enhance your natural beauty instead of change it. Some hair products are a little pricey, but if you’re able to find a $16 bottle of curl enhancer that saves you from straightening your hair every single day—worth it! Instead of buying super expensive Spanx, find dresses and jeans that really work with your shape. Read our article “Embrace Your Natural Hair Texture.” Also check out our series on dressing for your body type:
- How to Dress for Your Body Type: Petite Edition
- How to Dress for Your Body Type: Tall Edition
- How to Dress for Your Body Type: Plus Size Edition
- How to Dress for Your Body Type: Slim Edition
- How to Dress for Your Body Type: Curvy Edition
5. Ask God to help you love everything about the way He created you. When it comes down to it, the Lord cares only about your soul and inner beauty.
Print the following verses and hang them on your mirror:
“Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. (1 Peter 3:3-4 NIV)
“Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.” (Proverbs 31:30 NIV)
God views you as His beautiful and valuable daughter. Recognize that He made you to be uniquely, perfectly, beautifully YOU.