5 Things to Do When You’re the Only Christian in the Room
Written by Natalie Gillespie | March 23, 2014
You know that awkward moment when you figure out that you’re the only Christian in the room?
Yeah, I do too.
It’s the moment when the science teacher gets the class to chuckle at your expense because you made a comment about creation. Or how about the moment when you figure out you’re the only one at the party without a drink in your hand? Fun, right?
Not so much.
What can you do to stand up for your faith in Christ when you’re the only one in the room who believes in Jesus?
- Pray for protection. The first thing you can do is stop and pray for protection. Ask God to give you the strength to resist any temptations. Ask Him to keep you from joining the crowd in anything illicit or immoral. Ask Him to send mighty angels to surround you and to let everything you say and do honor Him.
- Look for opportunity. Being the only Christian in the room may feel uncomfortable, but try to see it as a new opportunity. Look around the room. Do you see anyone who needs encouragement? Notice anyone who might be feeling left out? Can you be a designated driver or take the keys from someone who should not get behind the wheel? Is your classroom an opportunity to stand up and defend or share your Christian faith? Look for opportunity to use this situation for the Lord.
- Phone a Friend. If you find yourself stuck somewhere you know you should not be, phone a friend. Ask them to join you so you’re not isolated and alone. Ask your friend to pray with you and look for opportunities together to bless others. A friend can also tell you flat-out if you need to leave. Sometimes we are to stay in the world to be light in the darkness. Other times, when it could be dangerous to us physically, emotionally or spiritually, we are to get out. Call a friend to come get you or to stay on the phone with you until you get to your car.
- Prepare for next time. If you’ve ever found yourself in that awkward moment where you’re the only Christian in the room and you didn’t know what to do or say, prepare for next time. If you don’t know how to share your faith with confidence, practice. Ask a church leader or a mature Christian you know to role play with you or give you tips on how to talk about Jesus without being embarrassed or afraid. Learn more about the Bible by using a study Bible, getting some devotionals, and reading some great Christian books. Increase your time in prayer. Talk to God in every situation.
The Bible says that King Solomon was the wisest man who ever lived. Other kings and wise men came from all over the ancient world to bring treasure to King Solomon and get his advice. How did he get so wise? Simple. When God told him he could ask for anything he wanted, he asked for wisdom. Jesus told us to ask and we would receive. So go for it. Ask for wisdom. He’ll give it to you.
- Remember, you’re never alone. Even if you’re the only Christian in the room, remember that Jesus is always with you. The Holy Spirit is in you to be your counselor and your comforter. Angels surround you, working on your behalf. So even when you’re the only believer, you’re never alone.
What do you do when you’re the only Christian in the room? Comment below!