5 Ways I Knew He/She Was the One, by PI’s Nicole and Eric Weider!
Written by Project Inspired | August 12, 2014
In honor of the release of Nicole’s memoir, Into the Light, we thought PI fans might like to get a little bit “up close and personal” with Nicole and her husband, Eric. So we asked them to take the time to tell us how each of them knew the other was “the one” God chose for them, the one they would marry for life.
Nicole: There are so many things about Eric that I love. I’m not sure I can narrow it down to five. But here goes…
- He is genuine and honest. A lot of people before Eric had broken my trust, so finding someone who was genuine was important. He was sincere when he told me something. When I looked in his eyes, I could tell that he was telling me the truth.
- He is kind. Describing Eric as kind is an understatement. He is the epitome of a gentleman. He still holds my door open for me when I get in the car. He pulls out my chair. He even prepares coffee for me in the mornings. My husband is beyond sweet!
- He is committed to me. When he made a promise to me that we would be a couple, he committed by giving me a promise ring. Whenever we had plans to go out, he had everything arranged ahead of time. He was 100% committed to me and our relationship.
- He is inspiring. He loves to learn new things and learn them with me. We love to read. We love to go new places. We bring out the best in each other. We always talk to each other. We grow together.
- He loves me despite all my flaws. He loved me after I met Jesus, but before my life was perfect. He loves me every day just the way I am with no makeup, in pajamas. He loves the silly side of me and the down-to-earth side of me. He loves me for me. I never had to put up a front or pretend with him.
Nicole: Okay, I can’t do it in five. Can I have seven ways I knew Eric was “the one”? Here are the last two:
- He loves my family as much as he loves me. He didn’t avoid my family so he could be alone with me, like many guys. He wanted to get to know my family and spend time with them. We still spend a lot of time with them.
- He is not boring. I am never bored with Eric. We never run out of things to say. And that’s important if you plan to be together for the rest of your lives!
Eric: Here are five reasons I knew Nicole was the one for me:
- She exuded a friendly, warm, and positive aura in the way she spoke and carried herself. I felt happy and comfortable in her presence.
- She struck me as being intelligent and intellectually curious in the things she spoke about, the books she was reading, and the questions she asked me. I felt like I could really speak to her and that despite our age difference we would have a lot in common. When I wanted to stop at a bookstore, she got excited and said she loved books!
- Despite Nicole’s beauty, she did not seem pretentious or egotistical at all. She seemed like a genuinely nice and kind person.
- She struck me as being sincere and honest in the way she spoke to me. She seemed to me like a person who would be truthful and open and wouldn’t keep secrets.
- She talked about God and faith, and I wanted to be with someone who was not self-focused and materialistic. The fact that she had faith told me that the truly important things would be important to her.