5 Ways to Be an Awesome Friend
Written by T.M. Gaouette | January 14, 2014
Ladies, friendships play a major part in our lives…with good reason! Our friends help cheer us up when we’re down, support us through the good times and the bad, and are, well, fun. Our friends can be very influential in our lives, and this is why, as Christians, we should try to be a light in the lives of our friends whenever possible.
If you’re looking for tips on how you can be an awesome friend, consider the following:
- Be a positive influence. We should all strive to have friends who are a positive influence, but are you a positive influence on your friends? This means living a Christian life–always be honest, kind, generous and grateful. And never lead your friend down a path of bad behavior, no matter how small you believe the vice is, such as gossip.
- Be prepared to listen. When your friend is going through difficult times, be prepared to listen to her. Often it’s tempting to throw in your own concerns, as if sharing woes will lighten her burden, but that can appear insensitive when a friend just wants you to listen. Don’t forget to ask questions, so your friend knows that you’re paying attention, but only give advice upon request. She may just want your support.
- Remember what’s important to your friend. Whether it’s a hobby or favorite activity, be sure to know what’s important to her. And whenever possible, try to share this interest with her (assuming it doesn’t go against your Christian values). Think of fun, thoughtful things you can buy or make for her birthday that reflect her interests. What a great way to show that you care about her!
- Be a motivator. Whether it’s a hobby, school or your faith, you should want to see your friend succeed. If you want to be an awesome friend, encourage her to be the best she can be! And if your friend shares your devotion for Christ, then help her in her walk with Him.
- Remind your friend that your appreciate her friendship. It could be with a short thank you card, a small gift or even in person, but reminding your friend that you appreciate her likely would mean a lot to her. Imagine what it would mean to you!
Ladies, are you an awesome friend? Do you have any tips on how to be the best friend you can be?