Back to School
5 Ways to Be More Disciplined and Focused in School
Written by Christi Given | October 8, 2018
Project Inspired started a group specifically for the Girl Talk questions, which typically come from the Girl Talk chat wall on Facebook. Click here to safely join our chat group.
We are now in a new season of autumn and the summer solstice is over. Many people are into the fall semester and back into the swing of things. This week, a PI Girl asked how to stay focused on her studies and stay disciplined.
I suggest that you really keep your mind on the task before you and focus on one assignment at a time. It’s much more effective. When we think about all the things we need to do, we overload ourselves and we do too much.
When adjusting to the school year, and to maintain discipline and self-control, try to get your homework done right away. Avoid waiting until the last minute. Make sure to prioritize your academics, extracurricular activities and social life.
When focusing on your homework and studying, one of the biggest ways to practice discipline is to set a timer for studying and to turn off your apps or log out of them. If you have a social media or screen addiction, put your phone in the next room or delete your favorite apps until study time is over. If you need extra help with this, make sure to check out the apps that lock you out and help you exercise self-control.
Don’t get your priorities out of order, especially when it comes to God and your quiet time with Him. This is probably the most important tip of all. Find a quiet space where you can listen to worship, read a devotional, write in a journal and seek the Lord. Hearing God’s voice helps guide our day, gives us peace and sets the tone of the day right and in proper place.
To sum up:
1. Focus on one task at a time. Don’t overload yourself by thinking of your whole to-do list in one moment.
2. Avoid too much screen time or social media time. Set a timer on your phone or use an app that locks you out for a while so you can concentrate on homework.
3. Don’t procrastinate. Get homework done on time or early.
4. Take breaks. Make sure to take breaks, get some fresh air when studying and exercise.
5. Seek God and have your devotion time. Find a time alone, where it’s just you and God, to do your devotionals.
PI Girls, do you use any or all of these tips? If so, which ones are most beneficial to you? Do you have any more suggestions for academic and back-to-school disciplines? Comment below!
Message me for further questions or prayer requests on Instagram messenger: @christigiven.