5 Ways to Re-Engage When You Don’t Feel Connected to Your Worship
Written by Jenn Arman | May 25, 2014
In Deuteronomy 31:6, God’s people are told that the Lord will never leave them or forsake them, and we’re reminded of this again in Hebrews 13:5.
The Lord will never leave us.
If you’re feeling disconnected from the Lord when you worship, I can tell you one thing I’m pretty sure of: The Lord isn’t the one who moved!
So what are some ways to reconnect to your worship of God?
1. Confess any sin in your life. God is too holy to have anything to do with sin. So if you’re feeling disconnected in worship, check your life for any known but unconfessed sins. We’re not supposed to be people who worship with our right hand while sinning with our left hand. We’re supposed to offer a holy and acceptable sacrifice of worship to God (Romans 12:1).
2. Remember the worship of God is a conscious choice, not an emotional feeling. God loves us because of who He is, not because of how He feels. Our worship should be the same. We worship God because of who He is. We make the choice to do so even when our emotions and feelings tell us differently. You may just be going through a season when God is staying silent. If that’s the case, then continue to make the choice to worship and God will honor your faithfulness.
3. Fast. Nothing reconnects us to God like having to pray constantly for Him to strengthen us so that we don’t spend hours on Facebook or Instagram or watching television or eating junk food. Fasting is a great way to refocus your mind on God because you’ll most likely need to turn to God in order to get through your fast.
4. Journal. Sometimes there are emotions in the way of us connecting to God in worship. Journaling is a great way to get all of those emotions out and deal with them. You might be surprised at what comes out while you’re journaling; there may be emotions you didn’t even know you were struggling with.
5. Study your Bible. I can never stress this one enough. It isn’t enough to just “read” your Bible, girls. I’m sorry, but I can’t find any place in the Bible where it simply says to “read” the Word. Over and over again, the Bible says to “study” the Word of God, “commit” the Word of God to memory (aka “hide” the Word in your heart) and “meditate” on the Word of God (to think about it throughout the day).
These are the things we do to connect with God. God has made certain that we have everything we need to connect and communicate with Him. God never leaves us. If you’re feeling disconnected, then it’s up to you to heed the soft prompting of the Holy Spirit and do what’s necessary to strengthen your connection with God.
Concerning Him we have much to say, and it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing. For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and have come to need milk and not solid food…But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil. (Hebrews 5:11-12, 14)
Girls, do you have any other recommendations for reconnecting with God in worship?
More Stories Like This on Project Inspired: