6 Life-Changing Christian Books and Bible Studies You Must Read
Written by Jenn Arman | October 26, 2014
I know some of you have asked about recommendations for good books or Bible studies to read, and honestly I could make a list a mile long, but in the interest of saving space, I’ve narrowed it down to six.
Girls, it’s hard to make a list of recommendations that everyone will enjoy, and the truth is that just about any Christian book can be a Bible study if you take the time to look up the scriptures used by the author and journal about what you read.
With that said, I’ve compiled a short list of Christian books that are really worth your time.
- Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman’s Soul by Stasi and John Eldredge – When I first gave my life back to God, I tried reading various books about how to be a godly woman, and honestly girls, most of them made me feel bad about myself because my personality, likes and dislikes seemed so different from the women the authors were writing about. Captivating is different. Stasi Eldredge writes about what it means to be a godly woman from a unique and adventurous perspective. She shows that women are powerful warriors for God in their own right and not just supporting actresses in someone else’s movie. A companion study guide is available for Captivating.
- Follow Me: A Call to Die. A Call to Live by David Platt – My husband, Dave, and I are huge fans of David Platt. In Follow Me, Platt discusses the truth of the Gospel and God’s call for us to die to the world and compares that to the Christianity many believers live today. A companion study guide is available for Follow Me in regular, teen and preteen formats.
- Believing God by Beth Moore – This book has a companion Bible study available. And come on, it’s Beth Moore! When Christian women think about Bible studies, she’s usually one of the first names to spring to mind. Believing God is about just that—learning to trust and believe that what God says is true. There’s a big difference between believing in God and believing God. Believing in God is only the beginning, and once that’s accomplished, God wants us to move on to believing Him. Learning to believe God will really strengthen your relationship with Him and help you defeat lies from the enemy that keep you living in fear.
- Holy Spirit: An Introduction by John and Addison Bevere – This is by far my favorite Bible study I’ve ever read. I buy extra copies of this book to give to friends who express interest in the Holy Spirit! We hear a lot about God and Jesus in church, but most of us don’t hear a lot about the specific job and personality of the Holy Spirit. It’s the Holy Spirit who lives in our hearts and who is actively working out the will of God on the earth. Don’t you think that makes knowing Him kind of important? This book will help you begin to really deepen your understanding of the Holy Spirit, and it’s a book and Bible study in one!
- Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations by Alex and Brett Harris – This book is a battle cry for teens to live surprising lives. The Harris twins conceived the idea for this book as teens and it’s their greatest desire to see teens in every generation live lives that shatter the world’s expectations of them before they even finish high school.
- Gods at War: Defeating the Idols That Battle for Your Heart by Kyle Idleman – Girls, are there things in your life that constantly work to keep your focus off of God and spending time with Him? Of course there are! We all have those things in life that fight for our attention. The things that wage war on our relationship with God. Gods at War will help you learn how to recognize those things for what they are and defeat them.
You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart. (Jeremiah 29:13)
Girls, what books or Bible studies would you recommend?
More Stories Like This on Project Inspired: