It can be really discouraging when others don’t support your dreams. Words are powerful and unfortunately, we sometimes use them to destroy rather than to build each other up. Why does this happen?
Whether it’s out of jealousy or a lack of vision, people may try to trample on your dreams. Although there’s not much you can do to stop your “naysayers” from being negative, there are steps you can take to keep your dreams alive in spite of what others say.
- Make sure your vision is from God. Ask God what your purpose is and what He wants you to do in life. Make sure your vision lines up with GOD’s vision for you because “Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails” (Proverbs 19:21). Remember, when God gives you a vision, you’ll feel it in your heart. You won’t have any doubt, you’ll just know! The doubts come in when others try to steal that vision from you, so DON’T LET THEM! No matter what, stay focused on your dreams and God will keep working on your behalf.
- Keep talking about it. Once you know your vision is from God and you feel peace about it in your heart, then keep talking about it. Never let negative people steal your words or your joy. Words are powerful and it’s important to talk about your vision to keep it alive. When you stop talking, then you stop believing; when you stop believing, God can’t make it happen because you’re no longer operating in faith. Remember:
And without faith it is impossible to please God (Hebrews 11:6).
- Choose who you share your vision with carefully. Choose carefully who you talk to about your dreams. Although God’s dream for you will always prevail, God operates through faith. It’s important to keep your faith strong, so guard your dreams; openly discuss them only with people who believe in you and what you’re doing. Avoid discussing it with frenemies, negative people, and people who lack vision because eventually their influence may begin to create doubt in your heart.
- Do It! Don’t let fear or negative people prevent you from moving forward. Do whatever steps are necessary to move toward achieving your dreams. If your dream is to go to college, then fill out those college applications. If you want to start an organization in your middle school, approach your school principal or guidance counselor about the possibility. Remember, life is like a chess game: God will make His move after you make yours and He’ll keep moving as long as you keep moving. Consider this:
Faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead (James 2:17).
- Continue to walk in love. Christ is clear that we must always walk in love, even when it’s hard. Don’t respond to their negativity in a mean-spirited way. This isn’t to say you have to spend a significant amount of time in the presence of mean people. What is required is that you speak kindly and remain encouraging, even when others are not. Also remember to forgive others, even when they aren’t being very likeable.
- Thank God. Always, ALWAYS thank God for the vision He has given you and for the provision He offers to help you accomplish your dreams!
I know that it’s hard to deal with people who don’t support you, but always remember that when God gives you a vision, He’ll make it happen for you through faith!